Full version review

HardRock

After playing some battles in a couple campaigns and such... a short review.

Graphics. I find it pleasing more than most newer games. There's a lot to be said for painting a landscape over a rain drop on a tree leaf eye candy. I like the far distance view even if not playable..beats those games with a big playable square and black around the borders.

The rolling hills are beautiful..and I don't even have all the detail on.

Sound. Great! I don't get the complaints here. For long distance gunfire sounds right to me. You wouldn't expect to hear Harry's 44 magnum the same 500 yards away.

Game interface play. The camera controls are fine if you're fast on a keyboard. I'm not so I programmed them into my CH Hotas I often use for FPS and these type games. I get around pretty quick now. That's definitely important.

Game play. Gets better each time. Things do die fast and your entire army can get wiped out. Better tactics needed? maybe.

Realism. At a glance seems good. Just a glance tho.

Had a lock up in the British airborne take the bridges battle. Had to hard boot. I only had one Cromwell left but all he had left was some inf in the trench. Thanks to those Typhoons:)

Overall. It's got some fun factor. I don't stick with games more than 5 minutes if they don't.

Be interesting to try a multi play where the human player will have just as hard a time of keep track of units I do:)

I almost gave up with the demo..but that battle just sucked:)

Actually TOW's graphics are one of the most tasteful I have ever seen. They are pleasant to the eye with the right color harmonies, crisp and clear with no overdone effects seen in other games. I cant understand people complaining about the graphics. I like COH's rich environments but TOW's although dated are classier and artisticaly superior imho. Maybe less detailed and low polyied but if the art guys have talent the result can be excellent regardless of the 3d engine used. Small villages are works of art with some unbelievable tiny details and I have only seen the demo so far. My complaints are gameplay issues like no waypoints, tricky LOS, fragile infantry, cover etc besides the known no enterable buildings and no mortars as well. Oh..and some urgent voice notification that my soldiers are under fire and taking casualties before they are all decorative elements of the grassland smile.gif

[ April 19, 2007, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]

Yes. There's a lot to be said for being artistic and making it pleasing to the eye. The right color harmonies can go a long way. I remember Falcon 3 being beatiful because of how they shaded the 4 colors.

This enviroment is like being inside a beautiful painting. Wait till you see the whole game.

The bridges in the airborne scenario just had that far distant look you see on some old films clips or paintings.

Now if one wants to get up close and argue about the holes in the tree leafs..oh well:)

But as an over encompassing view..it's the best ever.