OT: Unreal

It's not about CM, but maybe somebody can help me.

I have a Voodoo3 2000 AGP and I can't play Unreal in OpenGL, Glide or Direct3D mode. I tried everything, but no luck, all I can play is software rendered Unreal (but looks pretty ugly). Other games play good with my voodoo (either Direct3d or Glide).

Any advice, please...

I'm not really familiar with UT. What patch are you using ?

Apparently there is a 'Software Rendering' switch that is accessible running the 'Unreal Safe Mode' shortcut (in your UT group ?). Maybe you have this set.

Epicgames suggest running in Glide mode with 3dfx cards. I'm guessing that the Glide mode looks a bit better or performs better than the DirectX mode, but maybe Epic just wants people to use all of that Glide code they programmed.

Are you running DirectX 8.0? I had the same card at one point and when I upgraded to DX 8 I could not play Unreal Tournament any longer. If you are, the only thing you can do is to reinstall the Windows OS as DX is considered part of the OS and you cannot uninstall it or reinstall an earlier version over it.

The game is Unreal (latest patch 226), not Unreal Tournament. I have Win98 and DirectX 8.0. I found out what was blocking my OpenGL mode - it was WickedGL program which should improve framerate in OpenGL games. After I uninstalled it, Unreal looks beautiful with now working OpenGL rendering. But here comes a new problem - text in game is unreadable (menu and translator messages). And this was the game made primary for Voodoo cards! Unbelievable! Any advice?

I had a similar problem with Unreal (not UT), when I upgraded my TNT (older NVidia card for those unfamiliar with it) drivers and/or directx. I'm not sure which was the culprit, as it was a while in between runnings of Unreal, but something got broken with the OS upgrades. If Epic doesn't have a more current patch, you may want to try downgrading your video card drivers. I wouldn't go so far as to reinstall windows just to play Unreal, but that's just me.

BeWary

Thanks for your suggestions. I somehow nanaged to fix my problems by downloading some new (?) unofficial drivers for voodoo3 from a group of enthusiasts (seems like a lot of 3rd party drivers are appearing now, when 3dfx is dead) and now everything works great. I tried playing in OpenGL, but it was slow. After switching to Glide it was around 100% improvement in frame rate. Also graphics are awesome with Glide, comparing to OpenGL.