What's the average player's profile in here?

Gface

Wolfseven,

Not all women think the way your wife does.. My Wife is more of an avid computer gamer then I am. We spend most of our evenings together playing Guild Wars or watching "Guy" flicks together. When we game separately she plays her Sims or puzzle games and I play my wargames. Win, win situation. Sorry to hear that everyone is not as blessed with an understanding spouse.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im 22, and im basically a farmer!

i have been playing close combat since a bridge to far, but for now i mostly play red orchestra. im even in a mod team and i make custom maps for it!

i never hooked on to any other RTS games exept close combat, and honestly i always believed that making a good 3d RTS was impossible. but TOW has gotten me interested and i will get the demo as soon as its out, because i believe this game has great potential.

i even fear it will turn my world upside down!

Originally posted by Vern_S:

Wolfseven,

Not all women think the way your wife does.. My Wife is more of an avid computer gamer then I am. We spend most of our evenings together playing Guild Wars or watching "Guy" flicks together. When we game separately she plays her Sims or puzzle games and I play my wargames. Win, win situation. Sorry to hear that everyone is not as blessed with an understanding spouse.

Hmm, have you seen "The crying game"? Are you sure she's a... ?

smile.gif /Mazex

First Post.

I'm 54. A long time WarGamer, short time computer gamer although I've played CM and CC on and off for a few years. Looking forward to ToW to see if it will live up to it's promise. Hope to see an active and successfull modding community around to enhance and build on what seems to be a great game.

I also enjoy the level of mature discussion here from what I've read as a lurker since last fall.

Originally posted by Vern_S:

Wolfseven,

Man I need a chick like that. Good luck finding one who's that awesome AND good looking AND still sweet and feminine though :(

Originally posted by mazex:

QUOTE]Hmm, have you seen "The crying game"? Are you sure she's a... ?

smile.gif /Mazex

:D:D thats funny....

Vern_S is not the only one with a tolerate wife, mine too. Perhaps its a foreign thing as my wife is Spanish...perhaps foreign women are more accomodating?!?

I'm 59 years old and no it's not just a foreign thing although it's taken time. 33 years to be exact. I've tried other war games but they just don't interest me like the games Battlefront has put out so I've really been biting my time for this one. Happy days are here again although I'll probably still continue to play CMBB. Maybe.

Comin' up on 5.4 billion years old (yep, I 'member just sittin' 'round waitin' fer that big bang). Like most here, been computer gaming for over two decades (where do you guys get all the acronyms ... man I GOT to get out more).

Originally posted by tooz:

50. Started with Stratego at around 10; Risk in High School;

My goal is to retire early and FINALLY have enough time to play as much as I want and as long as I want, God (and wife) willing. ;)tongue.gif

Fifteen months & counting (that tick, tick, tick better not be one of them IED's). I've still got my old Stratego from way back in the day.

Nobody played Harpoon? The AI drove me nuts (I would always take over individual units for things like prosecuting a sub) but I couldn't stop just the same.

Gave up on-line gaming when the bunny hoppin' 11 year olds took over Team Fortress Classic (except some Jane's WW2 Fighters until they closed the game lobby, another one not mentioned here).

Alpha Centauri & Galactic Civ 2 have been the recent mainstays, but Viet Cong was at the forefront for a while, just didn't last like the sit and ponder turn based strategy games.

Everything I've seen about ToW has me buzzed, especially the latest changes that held up the release (realistic weapon ranges, obscured targets). This game's got me thinking along the lines of Harpoon, without the water (no supply management, just tactics & timing). OK ... maybe better than Harpoon.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about copy protection used for this game (NO, I'm no pirate). The Starforce debacle and direction that SecuROM is headed have me gun shy. I already own two games I won't install because of Starforce (SH3 & GTR).

Originally posted by flintlock:

I believe it's employing an online registration/activation type scheme.

Read this thread for additional info.

Thanks flintlock, you made my day!! Towards the end of that thread there was a little ranting against eLicence, wish I could have added my 2 cents.

Unless Battlefront's method differs greatly from the one Stardock used with Galactic Civ 2, they are light years ahead of Starforce and SecuROM from a customer satisfaction standpoint. Every time I've had a question about Stardock's method they've been quick and courteous with their answers (purchased the Gold version, unloaded the original to put on my son's machine, then went the whole nine yards with Dark Avatar on mine, maybe not as simple as back in the early 80's, but 20 years worth of water has gone under the bridge since then). This news was all I needed to push me over the edge ... I'm getting this game and building the machine to run it (as well as STALKER). Who says software doesn't drive the hardware side of this biz?

It's funny, I spent 13 years in the Navy on fast attack submarines chasing Russians during the cold war and now I have finally caught one.
See, all those 13 years of training and practicing were not for nothing!

Proves that expensive and intensive training of US Navy is effective after all!

:D

Hey, I'm 37 - Spent four years in the US Marines, that was enough for me. However, I have always loved war games. Tactics 2 and Squad Leader were my childhood favorites. Combat Missions series was next.... and now the best game out there, Drop Team. I've got a wife that hates me on the computer... but, I don't care. I've got a son who is 11 and is following in my foot steps. I can't wait to make contact with you guys on the field and defeat you.... Just remember - The Phantom will be playing Theater Of War.

:)Hi im 34 from Perth, Australia haven't seen many aussie's on this board, im sure there is some. I collect dragon models 1/72 scale diecast miniatures of World War 2 and modern military vehicles also have some command-decision lead miniatures. I have Axis and Allies Europe as well as some Axis and Allies miniatures. I have both Flames of War and Command Decision miniature rule sets. computer war-gaming history includes:

Atari 2600: Combat, Air and Sea Battle, River Raid and Chopper Command.

Commodore 64: Raid over Moscow, Raid on Bungling Bay, Beach Head, Commandos, Airborne Ranger and Who Dares Wins.

PC: Steel Panther Series-Steel Panthers 1,Steel Panther 2 Modern Battles,Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Command,Steel Panthers World at War and Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank. Entire Close Combat Series, East/West Front Series and Rising Sun addon,Panzer General Series,Sudden-strike Series-Suddenstrike 1 & 2,SuddenStrike Forever and Hidden-stroke 2, Blitzkrieg Series 1 & 2 including Burning Horizon, Rolling Thunder, Stalingrad, Kursk, Cuban Missle Crisis addons, Combat Mission Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa to Berlin, World War 2 Frontline Command, 101st Airborne in Normandy, Axis & Allies PC game, Hearts of Iron 1, Company of Heroes, Soldiers Heroes of World War 2, Codename Panzers 1, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Act of War with High Treason Addon, All Command Conquer Series Except the latest one, Commandoes 1, 2 and 3, Realwar with addon, The Operational Art of War 2, Point of Attack 2 plus more I cant be bothered to mention.

Love reading anything Military especially Osprey's Campaign Series and Antony Beevor's Stalingrad. Have been to Vietnam for holiday checked out Khe Sahn firebase, The Rock Pile, Vinmoch tunnels, City of Hue old fortress(Full Metal Jacket Film. Went to Cambodia Ankor Wat temples and the Killing Fields. Thailand Bridge over River Kwai at Kanchanaburi and Hellfire pass.

Hello,

My name is Henk, i'm 49 and just preorder ToW,

Actualy the latest video make me do it, its great with a lots of atmosfere.

One of the first wargames ive played caled Firebrigade 48 pnzkorps by a australian developer, ( long time ago ) then the V for V series, and to SStrike etc.I,m glad that finaly a good game is actualy released, have seen them crased befor release, or didnt come out the way it should be. So congrats to the dev,s

further on, i'm not a hardcore wargamer as some of you, and usaly i wil play single-player.

My wife is a darling, Have a son and a girl, and PC-gaming is a common thing for us.

When i,m not in front of my puter, youl find me with my nose in the books,

For years i tend to be a amateur historian ;)

best regards,

not exactly a noob myself

40 odd from adelaide south australia

some know me from CM,

first wargame on pc i can remember was perfect general.

grabed CmBO the moment i saw the demo in a magazine here in oz,pure luck i found it,bought and played all the CM series,played well over a thousand pbems,until i just couldnt face the carnage any longer.currently on vacation from CM.

still into IL2 series mainly online

rFactor racing sims

looking forward to the pre order arriving and hope to get some MP action with some old foes

cheers cobbers

Hello all,

I`m 34 and one of the few Krauts here. If I`m not working for my job, or on my screenplays, or on my planned short-films (by the way: one of them plays before the background of the Battle of the Bulge and I`m still looking for sponsors or production companies to back this project up :) ) I use my PC-time mostly for strategic games or simulations.

The first Combat Mission Part I only found by accident and was happy to get it, because for me it had the best tank textures and wargame atmosphere at this time.

The atmosphere is what attracts me, therefore I also play Company of Heroes. As I posted it already somewhere else: The first tactical game where I turned the volume up. The 105mm artillery barrages made me feel pity for the men who were caught by it.

But since these games are dominated by 11 y/o, who can beat you in 13 minutes (How the hell do they do it???), I hope the online matches of ToW are left to us. :)

Originally posted by NoxSpartana:

I see a lot of people mentioning squad leader and its variants. I never played it, would someone care to describe it?

Squad Leader

From Avalon Hill

WW II, Tactical Level board game, played on geomorphic maps that can be set together to depict just about any type of terrain in the world. Thousands of historical scenarios, involving every major and minor combatant have been published. Some 15 add-ons it boasts over 2000 playing pieces. 200+ pages of rules, 42 boards, and 60 or so charts make it the most complex war game in existence .and probably the best.

Originally posted by Zeffer001:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NoxSpartana:

I see a lot of people mentioning squad leader and its variants. I never played it, would someone care to describe it?

Squad Leader

From Avalon Hill

WW II, Tactical Level board game, played on geomorphic maps that can be set together to depict just about any type of terrain in the world. Thousands of historical scenarios, involving every major and minor combatant have been published. Some 15 add-ons it boasts over 2000 playing pieces. 200+ pages of rules, 42 boards, and 60 or so charts make it the most complex war game in existence .and probably the best. </font>

I'm 47 from Brisbane Australia. I stumbled across CMBO and CMBB way back, then completed the set with CMAK. Plug in the mods and I never tire of them. I have a couple of friends with whom I have several PBEM games going at any one time.

Luckily my wife enjoys board, console and computer gaming and is happy with her own computer. For xmas I got told to go out and buy a computer game for myself.

Nothing really appealed to me at the time but I knew what was coming. Now I have my preorder in for ToW and am waiting for permission to download.

I still have Squad Leader from Avalon Hill in the box I bought it in from 1979. With nearly all the pieces.

Strategy games have been with me since my first computer and include Tiger on the Prowl, XCOM, V for Victory, CC, Combat Command Danger Forward, Korsun Pocket and COTA.