A copy protection question for the devs

Sapper_astro

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

The problem with online registration only is that if/when the company goes bellyup (and we all know they all go bellyup eventually in this part of the gaming industry) and you have to reinstall your game on another computer or reformat or something you lost your game.

It would be better to have a setup like Matrixgames. Where you can download the exe, run the install register your game and then the game is ALWAYS open for reinstall even if matrixgames goes out of business. They allow you to make a backup copy of the game after downloading and registration that you can burn on a cd/dvd (patches included). This is the best method.

I personally won't buy or recommend to any other person games with this type of registration. So, if that means Combat Mission Campaigns and Shock Force and future modules of it also are going to require this "lame" online registration everytime I install the game or need to reinstall it then they won't be getting anymore of my money and I'll be sure an relay this information to all my friends and relatives and aquaintances as well.

hurry pifft

Originally posted by Moon:

No, I'm leaving this open. Those arguing against eLicense are using such thin arguments, you can see right through them. I'm glad to keep a forum open for that smile.gif

Martin

BTW, I am big supporter of original games and buy them to support developers.

If I wish I can get ALL Matrix Games days upon release here for 1 or 1,5 $ so it's not so superior copy protection.

Of course Matrix Games and Shrapnel Games have figured out rather efficent way to combat pirates as cracked serials goes to black list and when they release patch pirated game cannot be patched and as wargames are rather obscure and not HOMM5 or MTW2 or Fifa 2007 pirates don't BOTHER to crack those patches. Voila.

But again Matrix Games is certanly losing a lot to pirates, but now they have been stuck with this so they couldn't change copy protection because fans would take their scalp after all ;)

Mario

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

I personally won't buy or recommend to any other person games with this type of registration. So, if that means Combat Mission Campaigns and Shock Force and future modules of it also are going to require this "lame" online registration everytime I install the game or need to reinstall it then they won't be getting anymore of my money and I'll be sure an relay this information to all my friends and relatives and aquaintances as well.

wow, this release is sure to collapse without your support, and the support of that large group of people that surround you. ditto all the other zipper-heads complaining about the e-licenses.

Damn. And I was looking forward to this game.

:rolleyes:

Man, I'm a little tired of all these thread about copy protection. When its SF people starts flame wars, then some hates SecureRom and now online registration.

Moon has made a post here stating that should it happen that BF closes down they would release a .exe file that didn't need activation. Geeez what do you guys wan't more?

Is this a fight for the sake of the fight?

Its best ot get used to online verification.. it is the wave of the future of PC gaming.. And is truly the only way companies have to combat piracy..

The only thing i will say is that i don't mind online verification but it would have been nice for both the end user and for battlefront too, that maybe getting ToW on valve's steam would have been a good route to go and use the muscle of steam for both the online verification and the massive steam userbase (maybe get more sales that way?)

By the Way, Battlefront's eLicence is better than Steam (I speak as a Steam customer). For instance, a few months ago a huge storm in Seattle caused a black out and turned off the main Steam servers. The result was that a lot of people could not play even with their off-line games (as Medieval TW 2). You certainly know that even for off-line gaming Steam requires connection. That is not the case with ToW, as far as I know.

Filippo

We looked at Steam as an option last year when looking for an online distribution model and after about 5 seconds it was clear that it's not interesting for us for a variety of reasons. Margin was one of them, but also the fact that some of the body parts they asked for we're a little too much attached to smile.gif

Steam does nothing for us. It's an alternative to new publishers and developers, but Battlefront has been around since way before Steam and our customer base is big enough to sustain the business model without having to sell and arm and a leg. We could go with Gamestop/EB, too, if we wanted and would reach even more customers that way, but for the very same reasons we don't.

Having said that - you will see the game up on Steam (and in Gamestop/EB) sooner or later. Like at the end of the year perhaps, or early next year. It's the timing that matters for our business model.

Martin

PS. The one game I got from Steam really really sucked for me in regards to downloading and licensing it. It took their support a couple of days to figure it out, and no, it wasn't my fault. Same thing happened with Digital River, which I cannot believe some people think is so good as it was about the worst experience I ever had and in no small part one of the reasons why I stopped using Norton.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it doesn't work. If it does, it's probably flawless. But one of the things while evaluating systems for digital delivery for us that we looked at was the flexibility of the system when it does not work out of the box, for whatever reasons. For example, we allow people to use whatever download manager they want, whatever works for them, and do not force the use of a particular piece of software. That's really good if it works, but can become a major pain if it doesn't, as was the case with me and the satellite connection that I am using.

Martin

Originally posted by Valgua:

By the Way, Battlefront's eLicence is better than Steam (I speak as a Steam customer). For instance, a few months ago a huge storm in Seattle caused a black out and turned off the main Steam servers. The result was that a lot of people could not play even with their off-line games (as Medieval TW 2). You certainly know that even for off-line gaming Steam requires connection. That is not the case with ToW, as far as I know.

Filippo

That sucks big time. They(steam) will not see my money.

Mario

Originally posted by Valgua:

Filippo

You're right. That reminded me of the other big reason against Steam (and several similar systems). The activation is only done once upon installation. If you do the off-line licensing procedure, you don't even need a connection the first time around (but you need access to a computer with an internet connection, even if it's not the one where you install the game to. Since the only way to buy the game is from this website here, that shouldn't be a problem smile.gif ). In any case, you can then run the game as often as you like and do not need any connection back to the license server.

Martin

...In any case, you can then run the game as often as you like and do not need any connection back to the license server.
That's good, I was concerned that if my DSL went out the game would not start *after* I already did the license / auth routine the first time.

Mario: I knew you were one of the good guys ;) Nothing beat a good hotseat of Warlords 1 with your mates that went on into the night.

ditto all the other zipper-heads complaining about the e-licenses.

Eh? Who are you? The house lapdog? The next time I insult you I give you free reign to give it your best, until that time, try shutting the hole under your nose tongue.gif

This elicense business is fairly new, and only a fool would run out and embrace the future without checking into it first. The fact that I enjoy playing old games, many of which come from now defunct companies suggests that its better safe than sorry.

I am guessing you like those lovely investment schemes that double...no TRIPLE!!! your money in 6 weeks time too eh? :D

No, instead of insulting people asking about this, I strongly suggest you cut them some slack and answer their questions in a rational, commonsense way that helps alleviate their fears. Not turn on the flamethrower and burn them to a crisp.

This game looks quite a treat. The new CM game in development also looks very tempting. However I am going to check this system out a bit more before committing.

Originally posted by Sapper_astro:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />ditto all the other zipper-heads complaining about the e-licenses.

No, instead of insulting people asking about this, I strongly suggest you cut them some slack and answer their questions</font>