British Equipment

SMLE

I don't want to nit pick or anything and I know that there are other, more important, things in the game that are being tweaked at the moment. But I do hope that one of the things that is changed before the game is released is the depiction of British troops personal equipment.

This is from the Russian site:

British Soldiers

As far as I am aware the basic poches were never worn on the chest as depicted. Certainly for the 1937 pattern webbing it is impossible to wear the pouches in the manner shown. The bottom of the pouches attach to the web belt and the shoulder straps attach to the top of the pouch. So the pouches are used to connect the shoulder straps to the belt. Hope that makes some sort of sense. I'm pretty sure that the 1944 pattern webbing was the same.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can confirm. Michael Dorosh?

I know it is probably seen as a very minor thing but, to me, they do not look very much like British troops at the moment and it wouldn't have taken much to get it right, just look at any picture taken during the war!

I hope it is one of the things that is corrected before release.

SMLE, you are quite correct - the figures look ridiculous. Hopefully it is an early version - though it if is, why put it up on your own website, eh? The Light Pattern Respirator Case was also not worn on the belt, nor on the front of the body, but rather slung - and almost never actually carried in action in any event.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

To paraphrase Mr. Dorosh,

a British soldier shown by the game with having the wrong webbing, wearing his helmet over his arse or shown in a German uniform or is still a British soldier.

Em, the webbing is of the correct type here, though, so that is most definitely not the problem. Have you seen the images? If you're still pouting about the 34 track links vs. 36, it is most definitely unbecoming. :D

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

To paraphrase Mr. Dorosh,

a British soldier shown by the game with having the wrong webbing, wearing his helmet over his arse or shown in a German uniform or is still a British soldier.

Em, the webbing is of the correct type here, though, so that is most definitely not the problem. Have you seen the images? If you're still pouting about the 34 track links vs. 36, it is most definitely unbecoming. :D </font>

We used to sit on the aircrew ceramic chest plates while in Bosnia, they were curved and more comfortable to sit on than helmets. I've got some pictures somewhere that demonstrate the need for something to sit on as well! :eek:

Anyway dragging the topic back to my original post. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that the British soldier models are not very good. There seems to be some sort of myth that the basic pouches could be adjusted between the chest and the waist. I remember buying a model kit when I was a kid and the instructions said you could fit them wherever you wanted as they were adjustable and the picture on the front of the box showed them on the chest IIRC.

I just don't understand it, almost every picture of British troops you will ever see shows how the equipment should be worn, baring some wierd modification. It's almost as if they didn't check at all.

Anyway I hope it changes as I almost exclusivley play Brits in CM and was looking forward to TOW.

I'm sure I'll still play Brits they just won't look like Brits! :(