do we get swastikas ?

franz

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

The management is hostile to your views about Germany's role in WW2, hostile I suspect to Germans, for that matter. If you expect a fair hearing about the politics of this, don't.

Please justify these insults with direct references. I've been posting here for 5 years and I've never seen any kind of "anti-German" statements by the "management" if you're referring to BF.C. If you refer to the Russian developers, I can't speak for them, but the forum is run by BF.C. </font>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The management is hostile to your views about Germany's role in WW2, hostile I suspect to Germans, for that matter. If you expect a fair hearing about the politics of this, don't.

Please justify these insults with direct references. I've been posting here for 5 years and I've never seen any kind of "anti-German" statements by the "management" if you're referring to BF.C. If you refer to the Russian developers, I can't speak for them, but the forum is run by BF.C. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

Care to tell our readers what will become of Franz if he doesn't back off?

Back off what? He can ask for swastikas all he wants.

Insulting the management by saying they're all PC and anti-German will get him into trouble. But he'll get warned first.

Originally posted by RMC:

Insulting the management by saying they're all PC and anti-German will get him into trouble. But he'll get warned first. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

Insulting the management by saying they're all PC and anti-German will get him into trouble. But he'll get warned first. </font>

Michael, are you trying to call my bluff ?

post your email address and I will send you extracts from some of my interviews.

I will also give you details of a book I published about the experiences of a German Fallschirmjager.

Thanks RMC, I was unaware that friendly fire was not modeled with CAS. Hell, even the U.S. bombs Canadians once in a while.

http://thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com/2006/07/us-bombs-canadian-troops-again.html

Will there be any friendly fire from ground to ground units (off-map mortars), or ground to air? Is friendly fire considered at all? If maps are 4x4 km you would think somebody could pick the wrong target, especially if the soldiers 'skills' like accuracy are poor. Panic and morale could also be contributing factors.

I just thought that these would be applied to pilots as well. Aerial flags on armor of course would modify those statistics.

Originally posted by franz:

Michael, are you trying to call my bluff ?

post your email address and I will send you extracts from some of my interviews.

I will also give you details of a book I published about the experiences of a German Fallschirmjager.

I have no reason to believe you're bluffing. Email is in my profile, but I'll make it easy for you:

madorosh@shaw.ca

Looking forward to reading it.

Originally posted by ajj1912:

Is friendly fire considered at all?

My understanding of FF in ToW is that units crossing through friendly LOF can indeed take casualties. But the game won't attempt to replicate the confusion of the battlefield by having friendly units target each other intentionally. This is a fundamental limitation of a game like this in which the player is godlike with complete awareness of the action.

CAS is completely under the player's control. I suppose one could deliberately call a strike on friendly troops. Having recognition markings wouldn't help in that case.

It would be interesting to have a game in which CAS posed a significant risk to the player's troops too, but ToW is not that game.

... as a long time collector and military history enthusiast ...

May I ask if this collection includes original German stuff from WWII? These items are known to be mostly stolen from soldiers graves on battlefields, and each original dog-tag means that a soldier - if he should be later found be an official authority - must be burialed as unnamed soldier.

Just want to mention this...

Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by franz:

... as a long time collector and military history enthusiast ...

May I ask if this collection includes original German stuff from WWII? These items are known to be mostly stolen from soldiers graves on battlefields, and each original dog-tag means that a soldier - if he should be later found be an official authority - must be burialed as unnamed soldier.

Just want to mention this... </font>

Well Michael, you seem to have taken a distinct interest in me - how flattering. What else would you like to know, mothers maiden name, what colour of socks I wear ? - oh and the veiled insults are most endearing.

If any other readers would like more interviews or details of my military history research then please contact me direct at phil@bphprint.co.nz

I am always most happy to talk German military history with anyone.

But please Michael, be a bit nicer to people and you will find you will get further in life.

Hello Scipio, thank you for raising the issue of unrecorded dogtags. I stongly urge anyone who comes across undiscovered dogtags to contact the German War Graves Commission.

Here is their website:

http://www.volksbund.de/

It is very important to complete the records of MIA/KIA soldiers from WW2 and other conflicts.

Scipio, if you would be interested to learn more about or discuss Wehrmacht militaria then please email me. I am always happy to engage in conversation and help out other enthusiasts.

Michael, why would you do self-publishing at Kinko's ? That would be very amatuerish wouldn't it ?

Why pay for it yourself, though, if you can get a bonafide publisher to do your work? smile.gif This is one of my publishers:

http://servicepub.com/

Two of my titles are listed here:

http://servicepub.com/serv-pub.html

What we do have in common, naturally, is that neither of us shall get rich doing this, eh.

Hello Scipio, thank you for raising the issue of unrecorded dogtags. I stongly urge anyone who comes across undiscovered dogtags to contact the German War Graves Commission.

Here is their website:

http://www.volksbund.de/

It is very important to complete the records of MIA/KIA soldiers from WW2 and other conflicts.

Scipio, if you would be interested to learn more about or discuss Wehrmacht militaria then please email me. I am always happy to engage in conversation and help out other enthusiasts.

Franz, indeed I give money to the volksbund frequently, and that's also how I became aware of the problem. Thanks for the offer, I'm just a wargamer, not a collector of militaria.

Regarding the swastika question...

To leave swastikas out is (IMO) historical not fully incorrect.

Simple logic: The swastika as used by the nazis is - in simple words - a nazi symbol. Nazis are bad. I hope we all agree on this!

All German armed forces has supported nazi politics and crimes in one way or another. Maybe it can be discussed how much they were directly involved, but what would this change?

Option 1) So you can play the Germans in a game, just as a military force, and don't need swastikas.

Option 2) You have the Germans in a game with swastikas, knowing that they are the bad boys, and you don't want to play them, because you don't want to play for the nazis.

Option 3) You have swastikas in a game and love to play the bad boys, especially if they wear swastikas. Do me a favor and use your Luger or Walther and shoot yourself in the mouth.

Option 4) You have swastikas in the game, but you don't have an opinion about it, or you see the whole issue from a neutral point of view. In this cas, you can also go back to Option 1.

[ October 20, 2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

Why I want swastika flags in the game, where they belong, i.e. early panzers.

1) I am not a neo-nazi

2) It reminds every U.S. citizen why we fought in the European Theater in WWII.

3) It is associated with a failed idea (Germany's imperialism)

4) You have swastikas in the game, but you don't have an opinion about it, or you see the whole issue from a neutral point of view. In this case, you can also go to Option 5.

5) It reminds the U.S. citizen that even after we defeat an enemy we will still risk our skins to fly through Mig-alley, ( and help give supplies to those who were trying to kill us,) because we are kind and generous nation.

6) Our belief in freedom of speech as set forth in the U.S. Bill of Rights. (Sorry for those of you who do not enjoy this freedom.)

7) The U.S. flag will be in the game because the U.S. participated in this armed conflict and was victorious, much like the USSR.

8) We don't ban Uncle Joe's flag even though he killed lots of people.

now, any intelligent questions?

sorry bipolars, this means you may not be able to reply.

[ October 20, 2006, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: ajj1912 ]