Scenario Locks After Loading

Game installed. Pick scenario (quick scenario). Select troops. Finish. Go to start screen to place troops. Game freezes and I have to reboot computer to get out of the freeze.

Opening screen, scenario selection, and sounds all seem to work. When the scenario starts up with the troop placement area, you also get the background sounds.

Sometimes the game will allow me to move a small amount before freezing (by move I mean change my sight position).

Game worked fine on my prior PC. Can't get it to work on this one.

I am running a new alienware. These are the specs:

Athlon 64 x2 4400

1GB memory

Dual xfx nvidia geforce 7800 GT 256MB PCIE graphics processor.

I'm running Windows XP.

Please provide suggestions or a link to a previous post.

Could it be because of the dual graphics cards?

I get the screen at the very start asking me if a specific screen resolution will work.

Thanks in advance,

Airboy

I'm not sure what the cause of this problem is, but dual videocards sound like a likely culprit. Which particular Nvidia driver are you using ? If you're using the currently released driver you may want to consider one of the beta ones available from such places as Guru3D. I don't know which one to recommend in this case (and this link is to the Windows XP 32-bit drivers, since I assume you're not using the 64-bit version of Windows). So you may be in for a bit of experimentation.

I'm not really familiar with all the options that Nvidia may offer for the dual-videocard users, but if there is a "single GPU" option (within the Display control panel's Advanced Options, Nvidia tab), you may want to enable that for CM and see if it makes a difference.

You may also want to check into what resolution and vertical refresh rate you're using for CM and possibly change that too (by deleting the Prefs file). I don't know if the drivers have any particular preferences or not when it comes to certain resolutions or their refresh rates, but it may be something to look into.

Did the Alienware system come with Windows pre-installed and configured or did you have to do that (drivers, etc.) ? If you had to do that, have you installed chipset drivers for your motherboard ?