Infantry/Tank ratio

Arkel

Guys, i'm a little concerned about the infantry/tank ratio i've seen so far, I can't find any screenshots of huge infantry formations.

Also reinforcements seem to exist of basicly more and more tanks

1553_middle.jpg

Will this be looked at before the game is released, because so far it's more like a tanks-sim where infantry plays only a minor role. In real life tanks would have alot more infantry cover then i've seen in the screenshots so far.

look at this shot for example: http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/screenshots/pages/purchase.html

5 tanks and 1 group of infantry?

This also results in the shots i've see seen of huge trenches, but only a few men in them.

1540_middle.jpg

Will this be fixed/looked at before the final release? It would be a shame if it would be up to the community map-makers to create some more infantry-battles.

I think it will eventually work out to something similar to the Blitzkrieg system: you can use "core" tanks almost everywhere, but will hardly ever get large amount of tanks as reinforcements (keep in mind that the 2 AAR's we've seen, excluding the newer Russian one, seemed to be designed for tank combat) unless the enemy has a lot of tanks.

In the Germany vs Poland AAR, it seems the Polish armoured forces outnumbered the Germans at first and that Moon lost a few tanks, which was balanced out by adding more tanks (also note that the Panzer IV C is more of an infantry support tank than a MBT) and that Rune's run with the French included fortified German AT positions, tanks and airplanes.

It was not all that uncommon to witness tank heavy battles in Poland (especially around the "pockets") or France in World War II, but my best guess is that it should even out later on.

Many of the screens you'll see up there of course try to showcase the cool stuff as well as things that make the game stand out from the crowd. Quite naturally that includes a lot of tanks. Some scenarios in the game are tank-heavy, some are pretty even, but like Megakill said in several you'll basically get infantry only (or mostly). Once the game is out you'll be able to put your own little soldiers on the existing map (with or without a proper editor; all you need to do at the moment is fix up an XML file and we'll show people how to do it) and finetune it to the ratio you'd like to have.

Martin

Once the game is out you'll be able to put your own little soldiers on the existing map (with or without a proper editor; all you need to do at the moment is fix up an XML file and we'll show people how to do it) and finetune it to the ratio you'd like to have.
That's the best news I've heard that the game is not dead, and just switched to Battlefront.

TuuSaR, not sure what you mean with "IL2 based flat environment". The maps in TOW are surely anything but flat. Some of the height differences on the maps I've seen seem to be more steep than what CM was able to handle.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

TuuSaR, not sure what you mean with "IL2 based flat environment". The maps in TOW are surely anything but flat. Some of the height differences on the maps I've seen seem to be more steep than what CM was able to handle.

Martin

I'm pretty sure he means that the IL2 engine assumes Euclidean geometry, and not something more exotic. That is true, isn't it?

Ah, I don't know why I even expect an answer. All my inquires about OS/2 are ignored as if they were a joke, or something. :(

Good news about some infantry/infantry battles and the ability to make scenarios using XML. (Though I think that may have been mentioned previously, come to think of it.) Anyway, those are both things I'd been wondering about, too.

Do the infantry-only battles tend to have the same number of units - as in individual TOW units - as the ones involving tanks?