Will tank turns & pivots be done correctly in ToW?

John Kettler

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Of these, what kind of steering did the Sherman have?

Info is sparse. From what I can gather the Sherman had a Cletrac type system. The listed differences of turning circle between the Sherman and T34\Panther etc. is incredible - makes you wonder how they steered through those tight Normandy villages!

This site lists turning circle as 19m and lists this as it's source(!):

Panzer Truppen The Complete Guide to the Creation and Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force 1943-1945, Thomas L. Jentz, 1996

although I suspect they mean this:

British and American Tanks of World War Two, The Complete Illustrated History of British, American, and Commonwealth Tanks 1933-1945, Peter Chamberlain and Chris Ellis, 1969

I will check this one when I get home.

[ August 16, 2006, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Melnibone ]

From "Panzerkampfwagen" by Ellis & Doyle Argus 1976:

Min. Turning circles

Pzkw I A&B: 2.1m

" II F : 4.8m

" III M : 5.85m

" IV D&G: 5.92m

" 38t: 4.54m

" 35t: 4.88m

Panther G : 10.0m

Tiger B : 4.8m

Hughes & Mann "The Panther Tank" Weapons Of War 2000 agree on 10m for the Panther G and give:

T34-76A : 3.8m

Sherman M4 : 9.5m

Cromwell MkV : in place

However in the same series, Ford in "The Sherman Tank" gives:

Panther G : 4.35m

There is not a lot of info. on this generally available and I have seen nothing relating to how fast these turns could be carried out - something I always thought was a bit on the slow side, in many cases, in CM

Originally posted by jim crowley:

From "Panzerkampfwagen" by Ellis & Doyle Argus 1976:

Min. Turning circles

Pzkw I A&B: 2.1m

" II F : 4.8m

" III M : 5.85m

" IV D&G: 5.92m

" 38t: 4.54m

" 35t: 4.88m

Panther G : 10.0m

Tiger B : 4.8m

Hughes & Mann "The Panther Tank" Weapons Of War 2000 agree on 10m for the Panther G and give:

T34-76A : 3.8m

Sherman M4 : 9.5m

Cromwell MkV : in place

However in the same series, Ford in "The Sherman Tank" gives:

Panther G : 4.35m

There is not a lot of info. on this generally available and I have seen nothing relating to how fast these turns could be carried out - something I always thought was a bit on the slow side, in many cases, in CM

Tiger "B"?

Thanks for the replies and info, all - very helpful.

Tiger "B"?

OMG! -2 grog points for you!

Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B "Tiger" is more commonly known as the Tiger II, Royal Tiger, Koenigstiger. Tiger I was the ausf. E.

Yes, they did that just to confuse wargamers 60 years later.

You mean minus two points - I suspected "KT" but haven't had my morning cup of tea yet. Then again, since I'm off caffeine, I doubt it would have helped any. Two points "plus" for you!

Ha! Suspecting KT is not nearly enough. You have to know!

Hmm. Makes me think ToW won't have misidentified units like CM does. If you see a Tiger, it's a Tiger not a PzIV.

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

You mean minus two points - I suspected "KT" but haven't had my morning cup of tea yet. Then again, since I'm off caffeine, I doubt it would have helped any. Two points "plus" for you!

Ha! Suspecting KT is not nearly enough. You have to know!

Hmm. Makes me think ToW won't have misidentified units like CM does. If you see a Tiger, it's a Tiger not a PzIV. </font>

The game already has an adjustable realism setting. No reason FoW can't be a part of that just like in CM.

FoW might have to be defaulted of Off so they kiddies don't get confusled, but as long as there's an option...

Maybe down the road in the mystical expansion with mortars will include things like FoW.

while we're at it...

"KT" is another two grog points gone.

"King Tiger" (or, to use hip gangsta street speak, "KT") is as ubiquitous as it is wrong.

The word King Tiger furthermore does not exist in the woeful english language. My Webster goes from "king's yellow" right to "king tody". I am not familar with the canadian english but I assume it doesn't exist there, either (presumably there arent too many Tigers in canada to warrant developing own naming conventions for them).

Panthera t. tigris (LInnaeus) in the only valid zoologic translation (since the german name for the Pz. VI Ausf. B or Tiger II "Königstiger" was, in line with german naming tradition, taken from the predator mammal of same name) is Bengal Tiger or Royal (Bengal) Tiger.

not that this is a new finding.

Yeah, that'd be a bummer, but we have to keep OBERSTRUMMBANNFUEHRERWHITTMANE and the like happy

yes, them and their fetish for Ãœbertanks, like the King tiger ;)

(I fully agree with you, the influx of such "customers" that are readily identifiable already by their nicknames is...uh... troubling... and not a healthy sign for the game. But then, you just need to look at what other titles 1C does, what their usual business is...

1C projects ... most distrubing is the huge numbers of really downright Sudden-Strike clones of the worst RTS kind like Stalingrad, World War I, Desert War, Cuban Missile Crisis...)

:( :eek: :D;)

What I want to know is, how they got away with making the M4 manage a whole 2 gallons/mile!

Didn't they know there's a war on?

I eagerly await the appropriate data to prove that a KT has mileage so bad that it cannot be expected to traverse a 2km x 2km map...