Morale

benpark

Originally posted by benpark:

When units lose morale, what are the results in ToW? ie. Do the soldiers retreat a distance, or flee from the map? Will soldiers realize when they are hopelessly outnumbered?

Also, do units surrender?

From the AAR Moon posted he said his units were fleeing until re-enforcements arrived. It might be poetic licence but it does seem to hint at a robust morale engine, taking into account more things than what fire they've taken.

Which is good.

Morale in TOW seems to be modelled in great detail. Nikolay posted elsewhere recently that a lot of factors is taken into account, much more than just being fired at. While playing the game you will notice more than once (if you're an average player like myself especially ;) ) "waves of panic" in tight situations.

You might see a few guys go to ground and neglect your orders at first, then a little later if you keep pushing them too hard, the first one or two will run away, and if you're unlucky this can lead to a mass rout. Sometimes soldiers will regain their spirits and hang back, and I have units even seen to "remember their orders" and return to their positions after a few minutes. Sometimes you'll never see them again (but then usually the mission is over by then smile.gif )

I have not seen a surrender yet.

BTW, you use the term "units". In TOW, you really have to learn to think of "soldiers", because that is the smallest unit in TOW, and with the detail that the game simulates even the crew of a vehicle or a gun, it's a better description and mental image for what is happening in the game.

In fact, for a CM player this might be the biggest jump to make mentally when you play TOW. But it's incredibly fun to do, much more so than I had imagined originally (and even more so than I remember from Close Combat to be honest, but that's probably personal taste only).

Martin

ToW is a very special game when you say a word "UNIT". For us a unit is soldier (crew) + equipment. Thus a rifleman is a unit. A tank with full crew is a unit. But then you can decide to eject 2 members of the crew from the tank and you will have 3 units - tank with incomplete crew and 2 individual soldiers armed with pistols or other small arms.