Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

anyone asked about number of units yet ?

scottie

Current limit seems to be 150 units.

Maps are 2x2km playable area with roughly 4x4km fully modelled but not playable around it (looks gorgeous).

The campaigns are more or less linear so while there is a larger tactical map in a sense, you cannot order units on it.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Current limit seems to be 150 units.

Maps are 2x2km playable area with roughly 4x4km fully modelled but not playable around it (looks gorgeous).

The campaigns are more or less linear so while there is a larger tactical map in a sense, you cannot order units on it.

Martin

big maps (like CMC) which is great !! room for tactical flanking.

Why linear ?

Like an CMAK operation is linear ? but different maps ? unit carry to next etc ... ?

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Follow up: do you count a tank as one unit or five units (empty tank + 4 crew members)?

My guess is that this 150 unit limitation is based on graphics limitations of the engine and hardware. So a tank counts as one unit, until it get KO'd and then the crew emerges adding to the unit count. I don't think that tracking the crew men as data points is nearly the drain that drawing them individually is.

Guys, there is no hard limit that I have seen. Somehow my comment about ONE battle that I played having ABOUT 150 units in it seemed to have been misinterpreted to mean that there is a 150 unit/man cap. There isn't.

Of the fourty plus battles in the game, some are small and some are big. The average size seems to be equivalent to about a companies worth of guys (roughly 150 men a side) but thats not a set limit. Its just how the scenario designers made the battles that are in the game so far.

Madmatt

It wasn't just your remarks that drove the 150-man limit notion. I think Moon repeated it. I always took it as an approximate computational limitation for relatively up to date PCs and not something coded into the scenario as a hard limit like in, say, CC2 where you had 15 units maximum.

Originally posted by RMC:

It wasn't just your remarks that drove the 150-man limit notion. I think Moon repeated it.

Yup, and Moon was wrong. ;)

Not like he would know anyway, he is still stuck on the first Polish Campaign mission! tongue.gif

Madmatt

I played a battle with a full roster of infantry in EYSA yesterday just to get a feeling for the scale; 2x20=40 squads giving a total soldier count of approximately 400!! There is a lot going on with that many soldiers around, and my system starts to stutter a little bit!! But it works!

2x2 km maps sound comparatively wide at this scale! Which is great news, of course!

Looking forward to more of this good stuff ...

Best regards,

Thomm