MORE TCP/IP problems

c3k

Help!!! I've got home network, but can't play CMBB on it.

I'm using a Linksys 2008 Gigabit switch, hooked up to a separate router and cable modem. I'm able to use my Windows XP networking to swap files from one machine to another, no problem.

Comp1---|

.............|-Switch--Router--cable modem---internet

Comp2---|

The only problem I have is with CMBB. Both games are updated to v1.03. I'm trying to hook up to my other machine using an IP address in CMBB of 192.168.1.101

That machine is at the "Choose Game Type" screen with "TCP/IP" selected with "no time limit" in the drop down menu.

My machine keeps giving a "cannot connect to specified IP address" error.

Windows is set to allow an exception for CMBB on both machines.

I'm stumped.

With a connection through a switch, do I need some other IP address?

I'd appreciate any help I could get.

I've read the just-posted Tcp/ip thread, but I couldn't use it to help myself in my situation.

Thanks!

Ken

What is the "gateway" on your computers ? I'd guess that it is the router's IP. How is TCP Port 7023 setup on the built-in firewall ? It may need to be open to more than one IP if that is the way it is currently configured.

My TCP/IP knowledge lapses a lot, so I may not be accurate here, but I'm guessing that the packets will hit the router/firewall as your network's 'gateway'. I'm not sure if your router's firewall will block any traffic on the inside network (most probably won't).

Does your router have multiple RJ-45 ports on it ? If it does and it is within reach, you may want to pull the gigabit switch out of the loop and see what happens with the computers directly hooked up to the router. I don't really see much in the way of firmware updates for the gigabit switches that Linksys has, so it may be a bit of work pulling it out of the network for little troubleshooting effect.

Schrullenhaft,

Thank you. I figured it out... Not to get too technical, but it seems that it helps if you use the ACTUAL IP address of your networked machines, instead of using what you THOUGHT was their IP address.

Also, I did not advance far enough into the CMBB menu to enable CMBB to be "receptive" to the incoming data packets. RTFM would apply.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Ken