Introducing the Flow Motion toolkit

Toby Haynes

I'm a little nervous about this but here goes...

I've released the Flow Motion toolkit that I've been using to create the scenarios I've released. It can be downloaded from:

Flow Motion toolkit

This is version 0.1.0. If that doesn't mean anything to you, I'll put it like this - the code works well enough to be useful but it is almost certainly not perfect and it may not even compile on your system without major brain surgery.

That said, if you would like to try these tools out and are having trouble, I will *try* to help. There are no guarantees that I can fix all (or any!) problems. The code has ONLY been tested on a 64bit Linux system so far and may need some tweaking to work on 32bit systems - but I have plenty of experience in writing cross-platform code so I hope that any horrors in those areas can be solved fairly easily.

There are no graphic front ends to these utilities - they are all command line. Mac users will have to open a terminal to use them (assuming it compiles). It ONLY requires the PNG development headers and PNG libraries as dependencies, so it shouldn't be too hard to compile if you can already do so. I may consider putting binaries up in the future if compilation is a major stumbling block for many people.

Anyway, enough blathering from me. Any feedback is appreciated!

If you have the output from the terminal, either post it here (if it's short enough i.e. less than 50 lines) or send it to my email address: tjwhaynes at gmail dot com and I'll take a look. I fully expect to have some fiddling to do to get it working on some platforms. Linux (on all it's architectures) should be the easiest to get going, but Mac OS X shouldn't be too hard if there is a compiler and the PNG development stuff to hand.

Sooner or later I'll start a FAQ for this toolkit on the website. That depends on the number of questions of course.

I can report a succesful compile on a 32bit linux system (ubuntu 6.10).

Besides scons and libpng-dev I needed liglib2.0-dev.

Running png2raw gives me an error:

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ ls /usr/local/lib/

libflowmotion.so python2.4

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ png2raw

png2raw: error while loading shared libraries: libflowmotion.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ ldd png2raw

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)

libflowmotion.so => not found

libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7e7a000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fb9000)

Running ldconfig had no effect and there my knowledge ends.

Originally posted by poesel71:

I can report a succesful compile on a 32bit linux system (ubuntu 6.10).

Besides scons and libpng-dev I needed liglib2.0-dev.

Thanks for that info - I'll start a FAQ and add that to the list.

Originally posted by poesel71:

Running png2raw gives me an error:

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ ls /usr/local/lib/

libflowmotion.so python2.4

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ png2raw

png2raw: error while loading shared libraries: libflowmotion.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

markus@bobo:~/FlowMotion/flowmotion-0.1.0$ ldd png2raw

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)

libflowmotion.so => not found

libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7e7a000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fb9000)

Running ldconfig had no effect and there my knowledge ends.

Okay - you may not have /usr/local/lib in your dynamic linker (ld) configuration. Take a look in

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">/etc/ld.so.conf</pre>