DropTeam's .OBJ support

jdevlin

I have been trying unsuccessfully for a couple of days now to get a particular custom object into the game. It is a simple cube shaped vehicle with custom tracks. Every time I export it and load the game, the object appears to have faces flipped or missing.

Viewing the .OBJ files with a different viewer or even re-importing the object into Blender displays the correct model, its just when I am in DropTeam that the models appear bad.

Are there any special considerations for OBJ files? As far as I know, the chassis itself is a closed shape, and the tracks are not, as is the case with the Apollo tracks.

Please help!

-Joe

The things I've found in messing with the cube (sorry, I've been a bit lax on email) is that the normals can get flipped.

Are you saying that they appear inside out? (If you position the camera inside the cube, can you see sides?). In that case, select the affected polygons in blender, and choose "Flip Normals"

Otherwise, it might just be a lighting effect.

hey kevin-

have you been successful with the cube? The normals don't appear to be flipped when I load the cube in another program ( wings3d, ctrlview 3.20 ). Any idea why theyre being flipped? I'm admittedly still new to blender, but I can usually get what I want out of this kind of software with a little trial and error. Nothing I do seems to change the way the faces are being exported ( or possibly imported... )

-Joe

Hi-

The problem, as identified by Iceman ( Thanks Kevin! ) was that I had accidentally scaled the vehicle across the origin at some point in editing, reversing the normals. Definitely a potential pitfall for anyone using Blender. Scaling it back across the origin causes the model to be exported correctly.

-Joe