Expanded docs on Wiki

ClaytoniousRex

Ah, the joy of _reading_ docs smile.gif

Questions:

<Joint>:

"Slider - this is a joint which can rotate about a single axis and can also telescope toward and away from the parent on that axis by having force applied to it"

How can force be applied? Is there some way to voluntarily do that telescoping? Is there a limit to the telescoping?

<Spread>:

How does that compute? I went up to 0.45 and start ed shooting backwards! smile.gif

<Contact>:

Just to clarify: a contact will collide with the ground and not move into it. If some extruding part of a model wouldn't have a contact point it could move into the ground, correct? A telescoping drill wouldn't have a contact point?

Units of measurement: is 1.0 supposed to be a meter? I know it doesn't make a difference, just for the imagination.

Thanks

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

The documentation of the XML tags for objects has been greatly expanded on the wiki. We're still not quite finished but we're getting close.

I'm delighted to see this being done. I've added some inferred information to a couple of entries the wiki in the past, so I hope you'll proof read what I wrote to ensure I got it right!

Thanks,

Toby Haynes

How can force be applied? Is there some way to voluntarily do that telescoping? Is there a limit to the telescoping?
The telescoping is limited with HiStop and LoStop. There's no way in the XML to attach a motor this kind of joint at the moment. If you need it, let us know what your plans are and we'll see what we can do...

<Spread>:

How does that compute?

If you take a vector that is pointing in the shooting directiona and normalize it to unit length, then this vector is what the spread is applied to. The deviation for each outgoing round is a random from -1 to 1 * spread. So 0.45 is quite a tremendous spread!

Your description of Contact is correct!

Saw the docs on procedural objects, Toby and it's a good start - thanks for taking the time to get that one going!

EDIT: yes, Poesel, units of measure for lengths are meters.

The telescoping is limited with HiStop and LoStop. There's no way in the XML to attach a motor this kind of joint at the moment. If you need it, let us know what your plans are and we'll see what we can do...

There was a suggestion from dark_au for a tank with a liftable turret.

Another option would be to put a spotter point at the top of a telescoping mast or a tethered mini-heli. Good for artillery units or the CMD to stay hidden behind terrain. Or, on second thought, for the upcoming spotter infantry. ;)

To keep it simple the special action key would just move that part to either HiStop or LoStop.