ZebraTeam!

Phonan

Well folks, I was really quite happy when DT started working flawlessly on Ubuntu 7.10; unfortunately I've started to have problems, perhaps with the upgrade to 8.04. I used to have problems related to my dual-monitor setup, but those seem to have gone. What remains, however, is artifacting (or something) that I have taken to calling "ZebraTeam."

ZebraTeam.jpg

White stripes all over random objects and surfaces (even terrain.) Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have advice? I'd appreciate any help. I do assume it has something to do with my graphics card...

Dang, that looks messed up. :rolleyes: I don't think you're right in believing it's your graphics card, because the highly detailed textures on capturable facilities and units are in this zebra form, but the landscape and barracks look fine. In my opinion, it's not the hardware, it's the graphics drivers not being compatible with Ubuntu 8.04. But that's only a guess. I'll leave it to the others to find out what it really is.

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

I´ve got DT installed on 2 completely different Ubuntu 8.04 sytems and have no problem with the graphics. (one has a 7800gtx, the other a 8500 gt) (the mouse is a different story)

anywho, it´s a cool effect. I bet you thought at first: "I shouldn´t have inhaled"

Haha- actually it's a Nvidia 7300 LE for me if you can believe it. Actually works quite well for me, and it's worked before, but I don't know what's with D(z)T these days. I might delete DropTeamSettings.dat and hope for a lucky break... no one's had this problem before?

• 1 month later...

I was thinking that it might be a problem with textures, so I'm thinking about trying to re-download the textures, etc. How, exactly (I forgot) do you trick DT into a version upgrade? I know you change version.ini but then, what do I do to have it redownload my /data files? Sorry if this is a muddled post, I'll clarify if I can if anyone has questions. Can anyone help?

Change version.ini to 1.0. This will start a check of all the files you should have and download any missing or changed (DT uses a checksum to see if a file has changed).

However I would suggest that you first take a deep look at the log file and/or send it to Clay. My bet would be on a graphic driver problem.

• 1 month later...

Well, I think it's a gfx card problem. I just tried playing Freespace 2, and as I got close to enemies I realized that, guess what, they had zebra textures too! I'm kind of glad, because this means I'll be able to fix the problem and it's not DT. Do you think DT will work on a Geforce 6100 integrated gfx? Even on very low settings, if it will work, I can see if DT will work with just the integrated graphics on my board by removing the original card. If there's no zebra-ness, then I'm "lucky" in that all I need to do if buy a new card for stuff to work again.

Posted by Phonan

Do you think DT will work on a Geforce 6100 integrated gfx? Even on very low settings, if it will work, I can see if DT will work with just the integrated graphics on my board by removing the original card.

It sure will. I run DT on a integrated GeForce 6150 at 800x600, with terrain quality at 3/4, view distance near max, AA off, and most of the other settings off, and it works just fine. Though it has a hard time on Sea Cliffs, but whose hardware doesn't? ;) Plus, with your probably superior CPU (mine's a Turion 64 X2 TL-52), it should work just fine.

Thank you, 152! I have to say, I was really doubtful, but after installing the 64-bit most recent linux driver, messing like crazy with the Ubuntu packages and finally removing the correct files, I am now good to go with DT on this computer. Thanks a ton 152 for the suggestion, I've been missing DT on here for so long!

And I'm going to try to make it. Check the forums before you get on- I'll post if I can't be there.

Finally, to Marneus, this means I can finally test your mod! :)

I'm really happy, if you couldn't tell.

Thanks again 152!