iMac CM crashing problems?

Have you tried CM without the latest OpenGL extension loaded (though I'm guessing that you'll need the previous version installed) ? This sounds like a video driver issue. Have you changed anything about your extensions/control panels in regards to ATI ? I assume that your OS is 9.0.4, which still has the latest ATI drivers available.

Also - you don't have Norton Disk Light installed do you ? If so disable it as it interferes with CM.

Yes, it actually worked fine on the demo and with the full version before I installed the latest OpenGL extensions. However, I also had the mising text info problem which drove me crazy, so I updated to the new OpenGL 1.2.1. This corrected the text display problems, but now is causing the

crashing. It will work (sometimes!) if I hold the Shift key while loading - it will skip the intro movie and load the scenario. Do I need to change something with the control panels?

thanks!

OS is 9.0.4

Don't have Norton Disklight installed.

Does CM only load up when you skip the QuickTime movie ? I wonder if you need to update your QuickTime version (if that would help in this case).

Is there anything different about your environment (what extensions/cp's are loaded, programs running, etc.) when CM loads up OK and when it doesn't ? I haven't heard of any problems yet on this board with the latest OpenGL extension.

I'll keep testing, but it looks like it will only play if I press the shift key to skip the movie. It will load and play the Quicktime movie (I have Quicktime 4.0) fine if I don't use the shift key, but then I eventually get the 3-d graphics loading screen crash. It will also crash if I skip the movie by clicking the mouse. No other programs are running and I haven't touched the extensions.

Do I need to re-install CM after I've updated the Open GL extensions? My machine is pretty stock out of the box

No. I wouldn't think that you would have to reload CM after updating OpenGL.

If stability is an issue for you, then you may want to load up the older OpenGL extension. Assuming that is the only difference in your setup. I don't know why it would be a problem for you. You may want to run system updater to see if there is anything applicable to your system (firmware update, etc.) - though there isn't anything that I can think of off-hand that would solve/affect your problem.

Does this problem happen with every scenario you attempt to load or just certain scenarios ?

If you hold down the Shift key during CM's load up the Quicktime movie won't play. This permanently toggles off the movie until you load up with the Shift key depressed again (then it will play the movie everytime CM is loaded up).

If the movie is the only link (along with the new OpenGL extension), then I can only assume that there may be some sort of bug between CM's QuickTime loadup and the new OpenGL extension (and it may be unique to your particular model of iMac or ATI video chip). It's possible that another piece of software for ATI needs updating in addition to the OpenGL extension in order for QuickTime to work without causing problems (which may not appear while the QuickTime movie is being played).

It was happening on any scenario I selected.

I tested it some more and as long as the movie is toggled OFF (via the Shift key), it appears to be running OK for all scenarios. It crashed a few more times while trying to toggle it, but once the movie was turned off it was stable.

Thanks for you advice!