New, Installed ok but won't run.

hardail60

Hey CRex. Whats up.

I have just installed DT on a RHEL(Red Hat Enterprisse Linux) ES ver. 4. I need just one lib.

Installed with no problem, all the way up to the main menu screen. I had no time to continue so I shut down system till today. When I lunch ./runClient.sh I receive the following

~/DropTeam/bin ~/DropTeam

Then the log:

[jbush@localhost bin]$ cat DropTeam.log

MAIN: Version = 0.9.94

LOBBY: Init'ing SDL

SDL ERROR: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

MAIN: Unable to set screen resolution

Requested mode was 800x600x32

[jbush@localhost bin]$

My question. Why would it work on the install, but now I cannot get it to run without fixing the GLX issue. Plus, I have the res set at 1280x1024xmil.

Thanks.

Hmm, I run DT on Ubuntu at home and it worked right out of the box.

Maybe RHEL doesn't configure the lower resolutions in its X setup. Usually there is everything you graphic card can handle but maybe RHEL is so enterprisy that it doesn't bother with the lower end? ;)

You can try starting it up in a window so that X won't need to switch modes. Then on the Options tab in DropTeam the pull down list of video modes should only show those that your server actually supports, so you can choose one of those and THEN turn on the fullscreen checkbox again.

To make it start in windowed mode, edit DropTeamSettings.dat and change IsFullScreen from 1 to 0.

I vi'd /DropTeam/Settings.dat

1 to a 0 on IsFullScreen

:w

Cat /DropTeam/Settings.dat

Looks good.

then:

[jbush@localhost DropTeam]$ ./runClient.sh

~/DropTeam/bin ~/DropTeam

Nothing. Then I checked log.

[jbush@localhost DropTeam]$ cd bin

[jbush@localhost bin]$ ls

DropTeam.log SpaceVikings

[jbush@localhost bin]$ cat DropTeam.log

MAIN: Version = 0.9.94

LOBBY: Init'ing SDL

SDL ERROR: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

MAIN: Unable to set screen resolution

Requested mode was 800x600x32

Hardtail.

Okay - time to tinker if you feel like exploring your X configuration. If you don't know how to recover if you mess up your xorg.conf file, don't read any further.

Try looking in the /etc/X11 directory. I think RHEL uses Xorg so the file you need to BACKUP FIRST and then edit is xorg.conf

As root user:

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup

Then load up xorg.conf in your favourite editor. Look for the section which starts with:

Section "Screen"

Inside this you should have a line which specifies the default colour depth for the X server - this should be either 24 (for NVIDIA cards) or 32 (for ATI cards). From my own NVidia system, the Section "Screen" part looks like this:

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"

Device "NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Default Card"

Monitor "IBM C72 Monitor"

DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"

Depth 24

Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubSection

EndSection

It's that Modes line that specifies the list of modes that are available. So I have four screen resolutions available - 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 in 24bit colour.

If you are missing the 800x600 modes, you should add it in the same form as above. Save it. Then you just need to log out and log back to refresh your X server.

Remember, if you mess up your Xorg configuration, you'll be stuck at a text terminal. You can just copy the backup over the xorg.conf file and type

init 3; sleep 20 ; init 5

to kick the system down to runlevel 3 (text) and back to runlevel 5 (graphics) 20 seconds later.