No Anisotropic filtering with new ATI Catalysts?

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

After altering the settings, I have confirmed: AF DOES work for CM series (tried both CMAK and CMBB) but the distance it is in effect to reduce the sparklies has been toned down GREATLY.

EG. In the previous days, 16x AF would cover the entire map, eliminating all sparklies. However, now that I enable 16x AF, in terms of game distance, it only reaches 200m or so from the viewing point, anything beyond that is a sea or stars. 8x seems to work at about 100m-150m and 4x is dismal. This also means that view distances zoomed out are also affected, most noticeable from the top down view.

I'm very disappointed and I doubt that ATI will fix this if the reasoning behind scaling back 16x AF is to imrpove benchmarks. I'll wait for the Omega Catalysts to come out and see if I can play with the settings, but I'm not keeping my hopes up :(

That may explain it. That was why I tried to take a screenshot at some distance. Things look much better up close.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro and if I try to use AA with any of the CM's, aside from wiping out the text produces a rippling in the picture as if you're viewing the scene through a massive heat haze, but using 16x AF alone on the last set of Omega drivers certainly doesn't produce any noticeable sparkling. Also IMHO the last set of Omega's still run a shedload smoother than the latest ATi Catalysts, so you may be better off with them.