Windows or Linux?

tankibanki

Has anyone tried running DT on the same machine in different operating systems? Which operating system will get me best performance given the same system specs?

I've been running DT in Windows XP so far, but I'd like to try it in Linux. I haven't been able to get it to run there, yet (Look forward to me asking for help here ;) ).

Oh, I didn't even think about starting DT without a window manager. It does need X though, doesn't it?

I have installed DT but I'm getting this error when running runCLient.sh:

./SpaceVikings: relocation error: ../lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0: symbol __sprintf_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Know how to fix that?

Tanki, that error means you don't have GLIBC 2.3.4, which is required by DT. You would have to upgrade GLIBC (which means upgrading everything).

On a P4 with a Geforce 6600, using the XFCE window manager under Suse and dual boot into Windows XP, the same box gets on avergae 10fps faster in Linux than in Windows XP. XFCE is a very thin window manager. Using a fat pig like KDE or Gnome might well slow it back down closer to what you get in XP, but I haven't tried it.

Tanki, updating sarge won't get you very far. It especially won't update your libc. To get a more current linux you have to switch to 'unstable' (which is not necessary unstable in a common sense - just by Debians standards smile.gif )

yeah, I know, but the updated kernel should solve the problem (it's not updated by updating sarge either). The problem is not glibc itself.

However I haven't succeeded in compiling a working 2.6 kernel for this machine, yet. It's a little complicated because of some drivers I have to put in manually.

Moreover I am aware of debian paranoia concerning what is "stable".

Thanks for trying to help.

Ok, got a 2.6 kernel to run, but that wasn't the problem after all. As you suggested I needed a new glibc.

After that, the error message is gone. Unfortunately it still doesn't run.

All I get when I run "./runClient" is the following line

"~/Dropteam/bin/ ~/Dropteam/"

and a new prompt (after a couple of seconds)