Heavy performance drop

maxmars

Hi,

and thanks for such a splendid "game". smile.gif

I have been trying the hopewell campaign but right on the first mission I'm having a strange problem -- about fifteen minutes in the game, framerate drops to zero until I press "esc" and wait for a few seconds. Then, it resumes normal operations for a few dozen seconds and again it slows down (rinse and repeat).

As it is, the single player is unplayable. Multiplayer is fine, though (although perhaps I have never played so much that I would encounter the same issue).

I have everything maxed out on a high resolution but I can well afford it (sustained FPSs steadily > 60 in the worst situation, 2 gig RAM).

I am running off ver 1.01, my Linux version is

SuSE 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.13 (32 bit although my machine is an AMD64).

If you need further info please ask. Thanks!

Originally posted by maxmars:

I have been trying the hopewell campaign but right on the first mission I'm having a strange problem -- about fifteen minutes in the game, framerate drops to zero until I press "esc" and wait for a few seconds. Then, it resumes normal operations for a few dozen seconds and again it slows down (rinse and repeat).

...snip...

I am running off ver 1.01, my Linux version is

SuSE 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.13 (32 bit although my machine is an AMD64).

I've also seen this. This happened to me as soon as I had one of my tanks on the "third" island. I circumvented this by taking my tanks north on the second island and attacking the city in the north east that way, rather than committing to the eastern route across the bridges.

Be nice if this issue were fixed. I'm also running on an AMD64 machine with Ubuntu 64bit (with 32bit compatibility libraries). I'd be interested to know if this was a linux-only issue or was more widespread.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

Yes, confirmed.

I am following the road.. Just after the second bridge I get the first "hiccup" -- it goes away in a flash all by itself. But when my tank gets onto the third bridge, everything slows down.

The other two tanks of mine were still on the first island.. They were supposed to be staying in formation with me but that's probably a different bug <grin>.

Thanks for looking into this.

By the way, I have upgraded my Nvidia drivers to the latest and greatest (8762) before the test, so that you know I'm not wasting your time. As a matter of fact they work exactly like the old ones for this particular issue. I have a GeForce 6800GT, don't know if I already said it.

Further testing occurred, here's the debriefing.

I had the light-armored tank open the way up to Hopewell (using the north-east passage as suggested), taking away all the "big" threats, followed by one of the IFVs.

When everything but a lonely hamrless vehicle stationary in the third island was left, I went with the second IFV charging, stepping onto the bridge that led onto the third island. Surprisingly, no more slowdown even after a little walk on the island (which included the killing of the forementioned stationary vehicle).

The only slowdown I had with this technique has been when the light tank first passed north of the second bridge (the one leading to the third island).

In the end, I think it's something to do with enemies + terrain, because going on a different path with all enemies still alive did not bring the machine to its knees, and going on the same path with basically no more enemies still did not show the old issue.

Hope it helps.

FYI, this doesn't effect all AMD64 linux installations. I just replayed this scenario, and moved all 3 vehicles along the bridges to the last island with no slowdown.

I'm running Gentoo/AMD64, nVidia 6600 GT with older (7676) drivers; all DropTeam options are selected.