New Hybrid SC2 Counters

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum but have been playing SC for years.

First of all, I'd like to take my hat off Mr. Hubert for making such an intriguing game and his continued support.

Also, until I tried it myself, I never appreciated the work involved in making your own counters, so a big salute to all you modders too.

I’ve played PanzerBlitz for years and have a problem playing with counters unless I see a silhouette. smile.gif

I’ve completed a hybrid military/silhouette version for SC2 (boy, it’s a lot of work) and am currently working on updating to the SC2WaW counter set, but I have a problem. How would I be able to post these for everyone to use?

Before I get bombarded with criticism, I should state a few caveats.

Scale was my biggest problem. Wherever possible, I tried to maintain the scale of each class relative to each other. The big problem was the monster size of level 4 & 5 bombers relative to the fighters. The fighters would have no discernable shape, so the bombers have their own scale separate from the fighters and TAC bombers for WaW. Same applies to the ships.

You will also have to forgive me for exceeding the counter edges in some cases (i.e. those long barrelled 88s’ll get you every time)

I got tired of using the same old 4 engine & 6 engine bombers to represent upgrades and decided to accelerate the allied research curve results. If the Germans were testing flying wings in 1944, I see no reason why the Allies couldn’t be using 1950’s technology as the ultimate level 5 fighter. (e.g. F-86 Sabre) Ditto for the bombers.

My apologies to all you non-fellow Canadians for including the Avro Arrow (late 50s tech). I couldn’t resist. In any event, it’s a simple correction to cut and paste over any offending counter.

I’m also working on a more comprehensive counter set that would replace the existing 3-D version with more variations on the above 2d silhouette theme. (oh, and did I mention, It’s a lot of work!)

There’s also few surprises I hope you all enjoy. (yes, there will be Swordfish in the WaW counterset)

Anyway, on to the counters. Once they’re posted, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Could someone help with posting them?

Thanks,

Angus.

There are several free services for this kind of thing. A lot of people use Imageshack, which takes a little getting used to but isn't difficult to use.

You'll eventually find yourself confronted with the choice of posting a thumbnail that people click on and expand, or a full size image. Though our hosts would prefer that you post thumbnails because it saves bandwidth, clicking on the little images is annoying and gives my anti-virus software fits every fifth or sixth thumbnail (because the advertisements that you're subjected to in the background of the expanding images are often from unsafe sites). So do everyone a favor and use full-size images on the screen.

And don't feel shy about posting pictures of works in progress.

Seriously superb renderings.

Have not seen anything better thus far, and I'll most certainly be using them for many games.

Coupla things:

1) The Italian "rockets" should be smaller, say, as you have it for the French?

2) I too wouldn't mind seeing these 2-D's without shadowing... make 'em seem more... top-down flat, and that would indeed partly hearken us back to SC-1. :cool:

**VERY much looking forward to yer SC2WaW versions.

An Artisan + Imagination = beyond the ordinary ART. smile.gif

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Desert Dave,

I will be removing the counter shadows.

Maybe I can drop of the ammunition carrier for “Anzio Annie” and while maintaining the intimidation factor a facing such a beast.

Gorgin,

Sorry you’re having a problem downloading.

Can someone steer me in the right direction with regards to posting on CMMOD?

In the meantime, if you right click on the icons, select save picture as, save as a bitmap & rename it to unit_sprites_military Before you overwrite your original counter set you should first rename it, then copy this file to the \Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 Blitkrieg\bitmaps folder.

Philippe,

I was hoping to concentrate on the SC2WaW counters before worrying about units for the smaller scenarios but you make a good point. These counters may in fact be better suited to the smaller scenarios.

Please keep any comments coming.

thanks,

Angus.

Posting at cmmods is very easy.

You go to cmmods.com.

You'll have to register to get in. You'll also need a password, but if you click on the checkmark you'll never have to remember it.

Go to SC2 Campaigns.

Click on Add a Campaign.

Then follow the directions.

Be sure to include a readme file with installation instructions and a version number for the mod. Also mention which version of which game the mod is for.

You'll need to have the mod zipped and ready to upload, and there must be no spaces in its name.

If you don't have a zip program I would recommend going to subsim.com's download section for Silent Hunter III, and at the top of the page they have links to Winzip and Winrar. Get the Winrar, because it has a much less annoying reminder that you haven't purchased it, and also because it allows you to use zip and rar files, and does a better job with the zip than Winzip (go figure).

Compose your notes for the download page of cmmods ahead of time (copy and paste from a word or a text file), and make sure you have a jpeg sample of your mod ready for upload (this one is not zipped and has no spaces in its file name).

Uploading takes longer than downloading, so you may have to read a book while the file uploads, even if you have broadband.

Desert Dave,

I will be removing the counter shadows.

Maybe I can drop of the ammunition carrier for “Anzio Annie” and while maintaining the intimidation factor a facing such a beast.

Before I add further suggestions, allow me to mention that - YOU are the choosing artist doing all this outstanding silhouette-work, so you are the final arbiter - however it turns out, will be appreciated. smile.gif

That being said, a couple more things:

(NOTE: In each case, you might create "alternative sprites" - and not the whole bitmap itself, set aside as a complementary set?)

1) HQs... doesn't look quite right to have ol' Monty for EVERY single HQ. Montgomery's PIC with Wavell as named commander? Accomplished as those renderings are, I would also like to have the plain flag HQ's.

[... keep in mind that not very many of us can manipulate "Paint" or some other software, and get everything situated - perfectly, no matter how hard we might try ;) ]

2) I appreciate that you are adhering to gradations of scale, but the "over-hangs" are a little distracting and "out-sized" when you look at them on the map.

I don't think it would be necessarily un-aesthetic to have the silhouettes - conform more to the counters. Especially for those L-4 & 5 USA bombers; the Naval units not being so densely arranged @ Sea aren't so bad, but a small reduction might not compromise your scale?

The Air Force wings and even the tank gun-barrels might be reduced a bit? SLIGHTLY smaller silhouettes would fit a bit better... after all, we will be staring at them for quite some time.

3) For scenarios 1941 forward (... and my preference, EVEN for my own '39 Mod) could you?

**Provide tracked/mobile Artillery and Anti-tank units - for instance, the "Wespe" and maybe "Stug III" for GErmany, and appropriate models for each Nation?

Difficulty here being... distinguishing them from the Armor silhouettes.

So... maybe place a modified NATO symbol on the counter for those?

IE, a solid DOT for tracked Arty and a "V" for A/T? Or, something you might personally devise that you like better? :cool: