Is there a sprite limit: terrain_sprites.bmp

I don't believe you could expand the bitmap, I think that it is hard-wired into the game what pixels on the bitmap are used for what.

However, you COULD replace certain tiles with others. For example, replace some of the mountains with a different terrain. The big drawback being, the other terrain type would still have the name and characteristics of mountains. But you could, per say, replace some of the forest tiles with the palm trees to represent the desert equivalent of forest terrain. Honch has done that in his scenarios I believe.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I don't believe you could expand the bitmap, I think that it is hard-wired into the game what pixels on the bitmap are used for what.

However, you COULD replace certain tiles with others. For example, replace some of the mountains with a different terrain. The big drawback being, the other terrain type would still have the name and characteristics of mountains. But you could, per say, replace some of the forest tiles with the palm trees to represent the desert equivalent of forest terrain. Honch has done that in his scenarios I believe.

Some scenarios have defaulted to use different graphic sets. This has to be editable in the files somewhere doesn't it? Otherwise we wouldn't see the changes in the D-Day and North African campaigns?

Inside every campaign file is a configuration file called "campaign". inside it reads:

#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 0

#CUSTOM_INTERFACE= 0

#CUSTOM_SOUND= 0

#CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 0

A "0" means the game will draw upon the default bitmaps/interface/sound/localization folders in the main directory.

If a "1" is selected, then the game will draw upon a folder inside the campaign file itself for customized files.

Example:

Lets say you only modify one file in the bitmaps, and one sound file.

1. You would place a configuration file called "campaign" into the custom campaign's folder, and it would read this:

#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 1

#CUSTOM_INTERFACE= 0

#CUSTOM_SOUND= 1

#CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 0

Next you would create a folder called "Bitmaps" and a folder called "Sounds", and place both of them inside the campaign folder.

Next you place the files that you modified into the bitmaps and sounds folders. You DO NOT have to include any unmodified files into these folders. If the game engine does not find a needed file in the custom campaign folder, it simply uses the default files.

So, I encourage you to go and look inside the campaign folders for D-Day and NA scenarios, and you will the files that have been changed for that specific scenario.