WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Here is a weird thought...Mt. Doom could be a separate country controlled by Mordor, with the volcano being its capital..perhaps something can be triggered if an ally unit enters the tile and in effect, captures the "country" and thus it surrenders. This would mean that any allied unit entering the tile would have destroyed the ring and the result would affect the overall campaign....

ColumbusOHGamer,

Good write up.

I am pushy or am I being critical? I believe the later.

The discussion is about straying from an implied intent. When you take a game engine that is designed around WWII and use it for LOTR you are wasting your time. The aspects that are central to 1940’s combat vary markedly from a J.J. Tolkien novel. Heck, the missions are not even similar. The intent of the game is to provide a WWII era platform for further scenario development, not wholesale game redevelopment.

Let me take one aspect between the two eras and illustrate why this is the wrong game engine for Medieval type warfare: Technology development. In WWII countries went from upgrade to upgrade within a short amount of time. Think German tank main guns; from the HMG Pzkwg I to the Pzkwg V’s 88 in under five years. In the medieval world how long between the bow, to the crossbow, and to the longbow – hundreds of years. So, a SC2 designer (and this is not a challenge) can not expect to fully exploit the SC2 technology module in a LOTR scenario.

You are taking a runner and making him a linebacker.

The constructiveness of this discussion is that it highlights the fallacy in the direction of the majority of SC2 scenario design. Constructive does not mean always communicate in “warm and fuzzy” tones. In fact, you can muddy the waters and dilute a point if you do that.

Honch,

You’ve made some interesting points.

Gamers mod for their own interest… That is totally incorrect. Modders mod because they are seeking peer-approval. The guys in the fox-hole fight because of élan or esprit d corps. It’s for the team. And this team is based on SC2. Do we expect to dishonor the game because we are interested in another period of history – I do not think that will happen.

The amount of work it takes to modify to another period of time is not worth the effort. The quality will not be there and the capabilities of SC2 will not be effectively explored.

What is being done here,...is to try to push the envelope,...that is the 1st step.

If alternate adaptations and circumvent's fail to realize the desired result, then we beseech Hubert Cater for his take on it!.

At that point,...perhap's we can then be fortunate enough to get his assistance,...in order to allow the MODDERS to effect the new situation that they desire to create.

In essence, what we are doing here is EXPLORING new lands,...to go where 'No One Has Gone Before!'.