WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I do not know why you guys are taking so much of your time to modify things that really do not return an equal or larger benefit. Most of the Campaign mods on CMODS are just regurgitated versions of the originals. There really is very little original material here. The scenarios that come close to being interesting and imaginative are the new World Map of 1937, the 1940 invasion of the low countries and the Russia Front (btw upgrade this to the latest version). The SC2 Editor can do a lot, but the majority of you authors are not taking advantage of the editor’s strengths. For the most part you are designing scenarios that the game engine has a hard time coping with or is of a trivial nature. For example, take the mod that adds all of sub-Sierra Africa and India. Very little action is going to occur there. Would it not have been a better idea to create a mini game of the war in the horn of Africa, or even a super-mini game of the battle for the River Plate or the Japanese raids into the Indian ocean. Heck, even a hypothetical Japanese & German invasion of the Persian Gulf would be more creative and better use of SC2’s technical resources.

I believe those of you that fall into the category above should stop tiring to redesign SC2 and start to create intellectually stimulating and historical accurate (or plausible) scenarios in the time period it was designed for (read Civil War and Ancient times – go figure).

SC2 is a game that gives us a change to explore hypothetical’s like an Allied/Soviet war in 1945 and the capability to author every single major campaign in the European Theater of operations. Who is going to create a mini game for the Balkans campaign, or operation Sea Lion, or operation Cobra, or Anzio, or Smolensk, or the Winter War or etc… ?

So, how about it gamers, will you criticize my note or get to work and produce something that will demonstrate the real versatility of this War Game?

Dear friends,

I believe that in some point RobertC is right.

His tone was not proper but he is right. I got megalomaniac and made the World map. To many things to concider and to many parameters to fix. Right now the World Map is ready but still tested by everyone. Main thing is that i don't get good feedback from everyone that plays it. some have done great work in their feedback and i have improved the mod a lot.

Next i started with the Pacific Theater. I believe it would be much better becasue it is smaller and i will concentrate more on fewer things.

Once this mod will be ready i will start moding smaller battles.Look for my posts in order to tell me what battle you will like to see me making.

I was thinking for the Battle of Crete to start with. The first major Paratrooper assult in the modern times.

RobertC i will do my best.

Christos Sideris

I´m sorry, but my only explanation for this thread is that Robert seems to have been bored enough to succumb to the lure of setting up some elaborate trolling scenario. I can´t believe someone *really* doesn´t know that he´s not in a position (especially if he never contributed anything of his own up til now)to demand things (in a schoolmasterly voice to boot) from people who are doing what they do for their own enjoyment and who share the results for free.

Like Sidius i also think that on some point RobertC is right...

But it s unfair and not very nice to critizise jobs that you cannot do your self...

And if someone is happy to built and share a mod about any subject who can blame him?

Personnally i would like to see more mods like the battle for Russia or the Fall Weserubung V1(@sidious: battle of crete sounds awesome ;) )

And if i was able to do it myself, i would.

But even if the scénario editor is very strong , you really need time and skills for create good scenarii, and i am probably not the only one who has not both of them.

(whatever i ll try, but maybee ther will never have some result).

But maybee some peoples should gather to make scenarii, and help each other, for documentation, script writing ect..

Let s créate some thematic groups!

Last point the vanilla is not always accurate and i appreciate also the attempts to make it better(especially improving maps!)

Alternate Fall Weiss, or Blashy 's one go in the right direction for me...

Okay i hope my pidgin is understandable (but if i don't try i will continue to stay alone in the french speaker world; can you blame me to try? smile.gif )

(@honch sorry i can't try your mod, i have french version only compatible with 1.05)

[ November 17, 2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Cordell ]

Cordell : cause camenbert ou breton mon pote, on n'entrave que couic à c'que tu jactes coté Paname...! :D

(Sorry for short french language : it's a joke)

So : for Robert critics : Robert, let us time and we will realize all you want in your dreams. But as Cordell said, the work is long and hard. We have work for ten year : Hubert is a the Devil :D

Originally posted by RobertC:

I do not know why you guys are taking so much of your time to modify things that really do not return an equal or larger benefit. Most of the Campaign mods on CMODS are just regurgitated versions of the originals. There really is very little original material here. The scenarios that come close to being interesting and imaginative are the new World Map of 1937, the 1940 invasion of the low countries and the Russia Front (btw upgrade this to the latest version). The SC2 Editor can do a lot, but the majority of you authors are not taking advantage of the editor’s strengths. For the most part you are designing scenarios that the game engine has a hard time coping with or is of a trivial nature. For example, take the mod that adds all of sub-Sierra Africa and India. Very little action is going to occur there. Would it not have been a better idea to create a mini game of the war in the horn of Africa, or even a super-mini game of the battle for the River Plate or the Japanese raids into the Indian ocean. Heck, even a hypothetical Japanese & German invasion of the Persian Gulf would be more creative and better use of SC2’s technical resources.

I believe those of you that fall into the category above should stop tiring to redesign SC2 and start to create intellectually stimulating and historical accurate (or plausible) scenarios in the time period it was designed for (read Civil War and Ancient times – go figure).

SC2 is a game that gives us a change to explore hypothetical’s like an Allied/Soviet war in 1945 and the capability to author every single major campaign in the European Theater of operations. Who is going to create a mini game for the Balkans campaign, or operation Sea Lion, or operation Cobra, or Anzio, or Smolensk, or the Winter War or etc… ?

So, how about it gamers, will you criticize my note or get to work and produce something that will demonstrate the real versatility of this War Game?

So is it THAT hard NOT to download them?

Mine IS a minor tweak on purpose, it is made to have Historical production and not be a 50-50 chance WW2 chess game.

If you don't like it, don't use it...... :rolleyes:

Thank you for commenting on my post. I appreciate the consideration and thought it takes to form your comments. In addition, it is apparent that you have put in considerable time and proven your skills developing SC2 scenarios.

There is a problem. I am pointing it out. I may be a jerk, but so was my Drill Instructor. I do not want to win a popularity contest, only correct a trend.

Allow me to draw an analogy. You have an athlete that is a great cross-country runner and you tell him to go and try out for the football team.

Take advantage of what you have, don’t waste your time with side trips. There is so much that can be created using this marvelous game engine. We have a tool that will allow us to create European theater, WWII era type scenarios from the Army Group level down to the Regimental level with a look & feel from that period in history.

I read on this thread that there are two new scenarios in development. These new projects deserve a quick look because they are perfect examples of what the SC2 Editor can be used for.

The Russian Civil War. The bad: That period of time has less to do with the full mechanics of the game than latter conflicts. The Russian Civil war will be very light on air & armor. An inherent property of SC2 is that it is made for Blitzkrieg warfare. The good: The diplomacy capability along with the event & AI scripting may provide gamers with some of the political look & feel from that war.

The Creete Operation is a perfect use of SC2’s capabilities. It is a WWII battle that illustrated the limits of airborne warfare. You can even include the smaller sea skirmishes fought around the island. And, you can build other hypothetical scenarios off the original.

I am looking forward to playing both.

Are there any more WWII ear scenarios in the works?

There is a problem. I am pointing it out. I may be a jerk, but so was my Drill Instructor.

I am pretty sure your drill instructor also taught you to pay attention to detail as did mine. There are more scenarios in development than you mention, look back and you will see them.

RC have a little patience, this engine is still in development, there is plenty of time, look at TOAW. SC has the same legs.

Some of us are still trying to grasp the mechanics, Hubert is still fine tuning the scripts.

I, for one, want to have a full understanding of all the features and how they interact before commiting to "Operation Sphinx".

It is no small deed to accomplish a well balanced and entertaining scenario, especially with limitted feedback, and time is by far the most precious commodity.

RobertC has a point.

It is a pity I don't have more time to make mods but I understand his point.

We have a lot of dedicated people here with excellent modding skills.

Perhaps if we establish a common thread of what scenarios we would all enjoy playing this may lead to a more varied choice of mods.

My quick suggestions on this matter are:

-Battle of Britain & Operation Sealion

-Invasion of Yugoslavia & Greece

-Invasion of Denmark & Norway

Also, there is nothing stopping anyone from making Modern-Day scenarios.

By the way Fantomas - thank you for the great 2D modern counters.

There is a problem. I am pointing it out. I may be a jerk, but so was my Drill Instructor. I do not want to win a popularity contest, only correct a trend.

Allow me to draw an analogy. You have an athlete that is a great cross-country runner and you tell him to go and try out for the football team.

You're not being a jerk, you're being a pushy SOB who's trying to order others around. Why don't you say something like 'Wow! Thanks for the mods! Is thre anyone who can do an XYZ scenario?' instead of biatching about how they don't meet your expectation.

And have *YOU* attempted to build a scenario from scratch? Do you even have a clue how long it takes? Have you thought that the modders are testing the waters with smaller changes before making bigger changes? You analogy is all wrong. The CC is not going out for football, he is running 400m and 800m races, building up to the big 1500m race. Do you understand now?

Sorry for the rant everyone, but I have a big pet peeve about people bitching like this instead of providing something constructive. The modders are in the early stages of their learning curve. I think they've all done an outstanding job for the short time the game has been out. I've really enjoyed the world-wide and Benelux scenarios and can't wait for more non-traditional scenarios like those.

Hubert built the game.

Modders are creating really great scenarios.

Players are making suggestions for those scenarios.

I host a website where anyone can d/l them for free.

WHAT ARE ***Y-O-U*** DOING ROBERT?

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Once some more modern military unit sprites are available I plan on trying a West vs.Islam modern war scenario, Clash of Civilizations!

Unfortunately, my "War of the Ring" mod has progressed very slowly due to the massive amounts of art work required. Also, I find the restrictions on the types and imbedded attributes of units to be a major headache. There are just too many classes and sub-classes of units in the LOTR. I may use a work around where I use country slots to represent different races. It is still on the go but it will be awhile yet.

Honch, I think the country slots for a LOTR mod is definately the way to go, for example:

Germany = Mordor

Italy = Saruman

Britian = Gondor

France = Rohan

USA = Lorien Elves

Russia = Dwarves

Poland = Shire Hobbits

Norway = Ents of Fangorn

Spain = Harad

Albania = Umbar

Hungary = Rivendell Elves

Anyway, that just an off the top of my head list. You can monkey around with the alliance % and neutrality of some of these so there can be some diplomatic actions, such as both sides being able to reach an alliance with the Ents, sacriledge I know but you dont want a carbon copy of the book events in the game do you?

Here's a thought...a Fellowship HQ unit starting at the Shire, if this unit reached MT, DOOM, then game is over. If the HQ is destroyed, then it is a Mordor victory. So you might be able to have both, military and quest elements in the game..

Random musings while I drink a Pumpkin ale...

Honch!... i saved most of the posted pictures/images [units,Maps,etc] in a folder on my Computer, if you want them...let me know and supply an E-Mail address to send them to!.

J P Wagner, im not sure about an Instant Guaranteed Victory or loss triggered by putting the Ring in the Molton Lava or Fires of Mt. Doom.

I do think that if the Ring is Dropped into the Fire, then Sauron's Fortress in MORDOR will collapse/disintegrate, and what-else i can't remember, but i would hate for the game to end just there and then.

Why-not... J P Wagner based on what-ever happen's that for example, the Ring is Dropped, then Sauron's Fortress collapses, his forces immediately suffer a Morale-Loss and MPP turn reduction and so on, so that the existing forces would still have to resolve the situation before it is ultimately over!.

[ November 21, 2006, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]