Ideas to better represent France 1940?

Guest Mike

Some suggestions for modders for France 1940.

What happened in France/Belgium was that the French and British advanced into Belgium, then the Germans broke through the Ardennes and drove to the channel, trapping the best French forces in Belgium.

Yuo cannot do ths in SC2. When the Germans invade Belgium they immediately surround Antwerp and there's no chance for the allies to make their classic mistake.

Hopefully you might be able to do so in the map mods that are coming out, but in any case here's my ideas for the current scale.

1/ The French armies that went into Belgium were the best they had - they had all the armour and the majority of the mobile units, as well as the BEF accompanying them.

2/ The units holding the Ardennes were "B" line troops - reservists considered too old for the mobile army.

3/ Most of the Maginot line fortress troops weer good quality, but they were backed up by more "B" line divisions.

So I suggest that 1 French army be replaced by a corps, and this be placed at the end of the Maginot line. It should have very, very low effectiveness and morale. It should start fully entrenched.

Maginot line garrisons should be corps, with low effectiveness and morale, but they should start fully entrenched if this is possible.

Having these units fully entrenched and low morale makes it dangerous to move them out of position - they ar fragile and not really up to the rigors of modern warfare.

The French tank group should start at tech level 1 - there was nothing wrong with it and in the few occaisions it was well handled it gave the Germans some trouble.

The Benelux corps should start in a fortification right on the German border - representing the various lines of fortifications they had in Belgium. This gives the allies an opportunity to advance, and possibly something for teh German paras to land behind and attack from the rear, as they did at Eban Emal.

I'm going to try these ideas myself in hte standard game & see if they work later tonight......

I haven't seen it yet, but I doubt it would make any real difference at eth current map size - except it would give the Germans 2 morale bonuses for the conquest!!