1st person view instead of 3rd

Aniruddha

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

You can't play exclusively in a 1st person view, but holding down the E key (unless you remap it) takes you into the gunner's view, which is 1st person.

I am afraid being able to play from a first person perspective is a deal breaker for me (I never gotten used to 3rd person perspective). For sure there must be a way to add some kind of switch button in order to enable 1st person view (without the annoying breathing sounds) in a upcoming patch?

Could one not create a macro that, on the push of a button, "held down" e for you? If you wanted to get rid of annoying breathing altogether, find the sound file and delete it. Otherwise, I'm unfortunately not too experienced in this, sorry.

Originally posted by Phonan:

Could one not create a macro that, on the push of a button, "held down" e for you? If you wanted to get rid of annoying breathing altogether, find the sound file and delete it. Otherwise, I'm unfortunately not too experienced in this, sorry.

That sounds like a good workaround smile.gif . How should I proceed?

Well, it turns out I was completely wrong about macros- these are just for chat. However, you can "lock" yourself in first-person view. When you chat, the game automatically "holds" the keys you've been holding for you so that you can type. So hold "e" or whatever key you've assigned to first-person view, then hit "enter" and let go of your first-person key. The view will look rather strange, but then hit enter or escape and you will remain in first person- without holding any keys. Unfortunately, this only works until you either hit "e" again, hit "tab," are killed, or go to the tacmap. You must then repeat the process, summarized by "e, enter, release e, enter again."

As to removing the breathing sounds, it depends on what system you're using. I'm completely ignorant of what works on Linux (terribly sorry,) but it's possible it works as follows.

In Linux, go to ~/DropTeam/data/sounds, then replace "helmetbreathe.wav" and "helmetbreathefast.wav" with the files in this zip archive.

In Windows, go to C:\Program Files\Battlefront\DropTeam\data\sounds, then replace "helmetbreathe.wav" and "helmetbreathefast.wav" with these files.

On a Mac, find the Dropteam application, control or right-click it, then select "Show Package Contents." Open the Contents folder, then Resources, data, and sounds, and replace the aforementioned files with, once again, these.

These are just .wav files I've made of silence. I hope this works out for you, and perhaps they'll work a first-person mode into the game. Good luck.

Originally posted by Phonan:

Well, it turns out I was completely wrong about macros- these are just for chat. However, you can "lock" yourself in first-person view. When you chat, the game automatically "holds" the keys you've been holding for you so that you can type. So hold "e" or whatever key you've assigned to first-person view, then hit "enter" and let go of your first-person key. The view will look rather strange, but then hit enter or escape and you will remain in first person- without holding any keys. Unfortunately, this only works until you either hit "e" again, hit "tab," are killed, or go to the tacmap. You must then repeat the process, summarized by "e, enter, release e, enter again."

. I hope this works out for you, and perhaps they'll work a first-person mode into the game. Good luck.

Hey thank you very much! The 1st person 'hack' works perfect smile.gif Tomorrow I'll try deleting these wav files.

Glad it works! Just remember to replace the files with blank files, not delete them.

And if you're working with Linux and the path I gave you doesn't work, then by all means ask a Linux user like Toby or possibly Poesel where to put them. Windows and Mac should be fine. If we happen to be really lucky, the developers will release something permanent.

[ May 31, 2007, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Phonan ]