Demo to 1.1.1?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the full version (online) as laaaaagggggyyyy as the current .9x demo? With more than 4 humans on a server this demo is barely playable. Any more than four and forget about it.

p4 1.8

1 gig ddr

geforce 5900

Cable modem

Colorado

DropTeam itself seems to handle lag extremely well (you can do some forum searching for comments). The main issues, when you have any, are being a long way from the few servers that are available or simply a bad path between you and the server you're playing on. Other servers come and go over time - we always run a couple that are in a data center in Chicago, USA, we run some on the US west coast from time to time, Poesel may be running one in Europe soon, another US player will probably be running one again within a couple of weeks, etc.

The bottom line is that the game handles lag and Internet play very well, so the main issue you will have is finding a good server to play on from your particular location. (Of course, you can also play on LAN with your buddies. smile.gif )

Thanks for the info. Where would I get the most bang (pun!) for the buck in updating my machine to make DT even more enjoyable than it already is? I'm unable to find a min-specs list anywhere on the main site. I assume my processor and ram are good to go. I run dual sata drives on an asus p4p board so that should be fine. What card are you guys with no lag issues running? I defrag and update drivers regularly. Are non-nvidia cards better for this game?

I agree it must be on my end, chicago aint that far away.

It's a great game model and I'd like to start playing it more and making mods.

thanks for any input......

To fix the problem we need to narrow it down more. There are 2 major types of "lag": Client-side and network.

Client-side stutters and pauses are caused by video, hard drive, and CPU issues. Network lag is caused by lag on the network connection. To distinguish between the two, just observe what kind of lag you're seeing. If the entire game freezes for a second or so from time to time - meaning that all objects stop moving, the camera stops moving, sounds stop or just stutter in place - in other words if "time stands still" once in a while, then this is a client-side problem. On the other hand, if objects in the world seem to drift out of position and then warp back into the right place, and/or your vehicle is unresponsive to commands on occasion, but the world keeps "moving", then this is network lag.

So do you think you're mostly experiencing client side or network lag? Based on your answer to that, we can start probing deeper.

Thank CR, I read throught another thread here dealing with similar issues and I think it must be a client side issue. I do get some "warping" indicating network lag but not bad enough to worry about.

Upon looking at newer video cards, I see I may be well behind the times with my 5900.

In that case your best bet is to turn off some options to reduce visual quality in exchange for better performance. On the options tab, try lowering the "Terrain quality" slider a few notches (not TOO much). Also make sure foliage, shadows, HDR, and high res textures are all turned off. You can also try turning off Terrain VBO - this might help or it might hurt, so you have to try this one both ways (depends on your specific video card).