Server not responding error

Watson & Crick

I get a "server not responding error" probably about once per battle. I can re-establish a connection if I hit return and type a message to the "team." It does not work if I just hit return a few times. This has happened on more than one occasion with the latest build. My screen name is wc. I'll see if I can get it to happen tonight.

I am running xp on a dual 2.8 with a nvidia 5600 card running a 77.77 driver. I have the graphic settings at moderate. I tried the most recent nvidia driver and got psychdelic stuff occuring with the beta. No problems with other programs with that driver (80 sumfink).

Watson (or Crick, whichever you *really* are...), have you noticed any particular situations in the game that are common when this happens to you? For example, is it when votes are in progress, when fire missions are happening, or anything like that?

When this happens, if you refresh the server list, is the server you were playing on now gone from the list (you might need to refresh more than once to be sure it's gone). If so, then this is actually a server crash - the server died and left you hanging. If the server is still there, then it simply stopped communicating with you. It would be very helpful to know which of these you're running into.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

have you noticed any particular situations in the game that are common when this happens to you? For example, is it when votes are in progress, when fire missions are happening, or anything like that?

No. Nothing that I can think of. It has happened when I was on the regular map as well as the tactical map. Never when a vote is taking place. Never on a fire or emp mission.

When this happens, if you refresh the server list, is the server you were playing on now gone from the list (you might need to refresh more than once to be sure it's gone). If so, then this is actually a server crash - the server died and left you hanging. If the server is still there, then it simply stopped communicating with you. It would be very helpful to know which of these you're running into.

I never tried to refresh the server list from in the game. Usually just hitting return and typing in something and hitting return again re-establishes communications. However, once last night I had to quit out of the game entirely because communications could not be restored. I don't know about this particular instance but nobody else ever complained of a crash or problems when I had this happening.

The only programs that I had running in the background last night was adaware and norton antivirus. My internet connection has been stable as far as I can tell. I have a broadband connection with a cable router. I am able to stream internet audio with no problems.

I'll try again tonight and see if I can spot a pattern.

You can't refresh the list in-game. I meant that, when this happens, and you can't get the server to respond and eventually end up having to quit back to the lobby, that you can then hit the refresh button once you're in the lobby and see if the server you were on is still there.

It would also be very helpful to know how good (or bad) your connection to the server is. Unfortunately, all of our servers are clustered in the southwest USA for this public test, which is a real problem for some players. Can you also try a ping -t to tbg.krypt.com and to tbgsoftware.com and post the results of a good 20 or so pings to each one? Thanks!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping -t tbg.krypt.com

Pinging tbg.krypt.com [209.11.240.218] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.11.240.218: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 209.11.240.218:

Packets: Sent = 56, Received = 56, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 76ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 77ms

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Ping statistics for 82.165.243.126:

Packets: Sent = 28, Received = 28, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 17ms

As requested. I should add that no one else experienced the problem. Once I was on the map (ice scenario) and the other time I was at the tac map about 1 min into the setup phase (other scenario).

ClaytoniousRex

Unfortunately, all of our servers are clustered in the southwest USA for this public test, which is a real problem for some players.

Several weeks ago, the tbg servers all look like they were on the same subnet.