Dell PC and graphics problem, very jerky graphics

MikeT

Which drivers are you running ? Some of the pre-45.xx drivers had severe performance problems in a number of games, including CM. I'm not sure what the minimum driver version is for the FX5200's (somewhere around 43.45), so I don't know for sure if this is what you're running into.

The current 53.03 drivers can be downloaded from NVidia. They should help with any performance problems. However the FX5200's do have a color problem in CM (white in a number of places is light blue, among some other color problems).

[ December 16, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

It should have the latest drives, but I will check tomorrow night. I am also thinking that this might be related to the 19" monitor, I am thinking about using my existing 17" instead.

According to Dell tech support the size of the monitor does affect refresh rate.

MikeT

Size should not make it jerky. Worst case scenario is that one has a 60hz refresh rate and the screen seems to flicker.

More than likely you have a default dell install which is never too good and usually includes slightly outdated drivers. Update them to something more current and things should improve.

WWB

OK, sounds workable. I did check the refresh rate and it is 85hz. I didn't write down the drivers but have the latest NVidia saved on 'this' PC which isn't the new one, that one isn't on the net yet and won't be till January.

I have also contacted Dell and they have email me some links to study, a quick look and nothing is jumping out at me.

MikeT