Waffen Grenadiere in Euro-version

Is there any way ( please don't post a vague link with: you might find it there if you look very carefully :), to change this into waffen SS? I was able to mod the flags, but how do i change the text? :confused:

Thank you very much, and i hope it can be fixed, because it does bother me a bit, i bought the game for it's realism....

greetz!

I'm afraid,no.

In contrast to the US version of CM, where in-game text are 'visible' in the source code as plain ASCII characters, CDV has encrypted parts of the source code to prevent such attempts.

IIRC, one guy experimented with a RAM resident patch, but I can't remember if he had success with it.

With the porous borders in Europe and the way trade now works in the EU... you're going to have a problem making a version for Germany and then one for the rest of Europe. If any of those non-German copies makes it into Germany for sale there can be legal problems for the distributor and in turn there can be problems for the developer. It's just not worth the possible legal hassles and loss of money to put in the Nazi-related symbols and names.

It's a nearly inconsequential point. You have everything but the Swastika and the SS Runes. While from a snobbery standpoint this is unhistorical... CM just isn't considered as qualifying for historical exception by whatever German legal enforcement entity polices such laws.

Hmm... OK, let me get this straight (pardon my US ignorance :confused: )...

You cannot have a computer game that displays sigrunes or swastika? I had heard something like that from a friend who lives in Hamburg (haven't seen him in a number of years...) What? For fear it will turn a generation of gamers into Nazis?? More likely to happen here, I should think. But seriously, are not most of us who "play" CMBO historians, and a little smarter than the average? And so, less apt to such "subliminal brainwashing"?

I am intrigued by this. Could any of you guys undertake to educate this Yank a little on this? After all, we value our "free speech" here so much...

Thanks, guys

German laws prohibit the use/display of swastikas and other Nazi symbology (to include the SS Runes). The exception to this is for the purposes of historical presentation/research. No game has qualified for this exception to my knowledge. And sometimes a game can run afoul of this law if a non-German version has the Nazi symbology in it too (even if this version is never distributed in Germany).

While Americans (and other Allies of the time) can look back with pride and a hint of self-righteousness about their participation in WWII (the 'Greatest Generation'), the same isn't absolutely true for the Germans (and the Japanese are a mixed story on this). Politically, judicially, monetarily and morally the Germans were made to pay a price by the victors for the crimes of the Nazi regime. Even if they weren't the direct participants in these crimes there was still the feeling of guilt by association or the guilt of being morally passive in the face of such crimes. Hence a whole generation has grown up with this sense of communal guilt and the desire to prevent it from ever occuring again. So these anti-Nazi laws in Germany are the political price to avoid the moral ambiguity and passivity of Germany under the Nazis.

In modern Germany Nazism/skinheads are still a bit of a problem, especially in the former GDR (eastern Germany) where it has become somewhat popular among young, restless and disenfranchised. Skinheads and Nazi ideology have also sprouted up in other parts of Europe (even among those who were former 'victims' of the Nazis). So it's definitely a wide ranging problem that isn't isolated to the American Northwest.

This issue has been discussed before on either or both of the Main and General forums. There are a lot of opinions on this and hence it may not be a suitable topic for these boards and may end up getting locked up because of the general direction many of these conversations take.

The above are my opinions/impressions on the issue and may not be considered accurate by many.