Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flavor Object Editor

Mord

I have no clue about coding so I don't know how hard this would be to implement (don't all the best threads start like that?), but wouldn't it be nice to have a way to import flavor objects into the game?

It worked wonders, and expanded the creativity of the SIMS and Neverwinter Nights allowing user made content...and probably took a load of work off the developers not having to make more things. I understand the arguments for not adding in user made AFV's and weapons but was thinking this would be different as these things just sit and look pretty.

If not an editor how about a call to arms by BFC to the community to create a bunch of models that could be added at some later point? Seeing that these items are placeable and don't have (presumably) a direct effect on the battle and programing, like say making a new tank model would. How hard would it be to have such an editor or to add user made content? Is there a butt load of coding involved?

We have some incredibly talented people here (as the thousands of CMX1 mods have shown) and it would take a load off Dan and Fernando.

This was posted in another thread a few weeks back;

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by winkelried:

Any idea if we could get additional objects on the map e.g. watertowers, minaretts, church towers, factories, hangars, etc?

Winkelried, to answer your question yes, the range of flavour objects in game is something we certainly hope to expand on as time permits. </font>

Originally posted by Mord:

If not an editor how about a call to arms by BFC to the community to create a bunch of models that could be added at some later point?

Hi Mord!

Actually something like this is certainly not impossible. Its a little more complex than just the 3D models though as flavor objects do provide cover and can inhibit movement so some extra coding is likely required for each item. As such I would have to discuss the technicalities with Charles in the future.

Down the track though, particularly for WW2, some more flexibiliy here would certainly be nice smile.gif .

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hey Dan.

That's interesting. I wasn't exactly sure how they worked. Nice to hear they provide more than just eye candy.

Maybe some kind of foot print could be coded for each item that would provide X amount of cover and X amount of LOS blockage...say, tiny (mailbox), small (trash can), medium (motorcycle), large (car/truck body), Huge (oil tank)...or something to that effect? Everything large would provide X amount of cover no matter what it was...keeps it from getting too technical.

Ahh...WWII (GAAAAAAAALLLLLLAAALLLLLLL<---Homer Simpson Drool) I dream about the type of maps we are gonna be able to create when that bad boy gets published...barns and hay stacks and chicken coops and horse carts...man, some flavor objects like that to spice up what this kick ass editor is already capable of!

You know what would be super cool though for WWII?...Higgins hulks for beach scenarios. They don't have to move or anything just sit on the beach like they just landed. And some glider models same as above, just sit in a field like they just landed...

Thanks for the response.

Mord.

X amount of cover and X amount of LOS blockage...say, tiny (mailbox), small (trash can), medium (motorcycle), large (car/truck body), Huge (oil tank)...or something to that effect?
You know when I first read that I thought, no that can't work. With how precise tracking fire is suppose to be I don't think something could be quite that abstracted.

However on second thought there may be a way this could work (with my very limited programming knowledge). Added flavor items could be marked as another flavor item already in game. For example someone makes a statue, the game gives the image of that, however the person who makes the image chooses what the item "actually" is, say a fountain. So the player sees a statue, the engine sees a fountain.

That may have been what you were getting at, sorry if I am just repeating your idea.

Originally posted by C'Rogers:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />X amount of cover and X amount of LOS blockage...say, tiny (mailbox), small (trash can), medium (motorcycle), large (car/truck body), Huge (oil tank)...or something to that effect?

You know when I first read that I thought, no that can't work. With how precise tracking fire is suppose to be I don't think something could be quite that abstracted.

However on second thought there may be a way this could work (with my very limited programming knowledge). Added flavor items could be marked as another flavor item already in game. For example someone makes a statue, the game gives the image of that, however the person who makes the image chooses what the item "actually" is, say a fountain. So the player sees a statue, the engine sees a fountain.

That may have been what you were getting at, sorry if I am just repeating your idea. </font>