Situation in Somalia

I am putting this in more as a topic for possible CM:SF scenarios, but I've noticed that fighting has flaired up in Mogadishu between the militias of Muslim Clerics who seem to be forming some kind of Islamic state, and a loose grouping of warlords who like things as they are.

This could be a scenario wher the US finds itself with another Taleban. In the early years most Afghans welcomed the Taleban with open arms as they brought and end to the chaos of the power vacumn that followed the soviet withdrawal.

Which side should the US back if any, The clerics who seem to be at least bringing some order and stability but who are probably pro Iranian and might harbour AQ, or the warlords who are responsible for the Chaos. as they did by using the Northern alliance in Afghanistan.

Current doctrine is to prevent failing states and help rebuild those that have failed, but what if the people doing the rebuilding won't be allies.....

Peter.

Peter,

Do you think the US would go back to Somalia after the events of 1993? I know that after 9/11 anything is possible, but I have my doubts that any US president would order troops back there. The political ramifications would probably outweigh any foreign policy ones IMHO.

Still, I can't wait to use CM:SF to simulate some Somali engagements, past, present or future! "Black Hawk Down" is one of my favourite movies, and I really enjoyed the book too.

If it became blatantly obvious that there are terrorist training camps or such being set up in Somalia, I have no doubt that the US would either send in air/cruise-missile strikes against them, or send in strike forces of some sort to eliminate them on the ground and take prisoners.

However, I really doubt we'd go back into Somalia for a long-term occupation (a la Iraq).

US Special forces strike could be a good basis for scenarios.

I wonder of Co-play would let you have eight slots, 3 US players and five Militia, but with the militia able to fight each other as well as the US.

I don't suppose BF have thought about the possibility of three way fights, as it's hardly an everyday occurance. Although not un heard of in peacekeeping it rarely happens, factions may shift etc. but you usually fight one or the other not both at once on a CM scale.

Peter..

Peter.

Well if we are talking about player slots down to squad, then in theory if each player had three or four teams only, then a company could have ten players. Even if we had a platoon level command, with some supporting units, a company could still have six players, which isn't bad.

I like large games, but my experience on on line games tends to be that after about six or seven players it's pretty common for people to have to drop out after a while leaving gaps.

True, the AI could take over, but It's not always the same.

Peter.