Squad / platoon formation template

Agua

There were a lot of pots for some form of formations option to be in CMx2, but Agua idea of having customisable templates for them is the best suggestion that I've read.

Something like this might also help the CPU opponent fight better and in a more realistc manner, hopefully too.

I would like to add to Agua's concept of having templated formations as a player aid should not just be availliable as an option during the set up phase, but also during the game, including as a 'maintain this formation' or 'adopt this formation' order to help with movement.

It could also provide an overriding tendancy that ensures that Pltn HQs control their Squads and teams, rather then running forward beyond a sinsible distance as the CPU opponent often does IME.

Originally posted by Agua:

I've mentioned this before, but it would be a HUGE time saver if there were some sort of customizable template where the player could set up squads within a platoon in a formation of their design without having to individually place each squad.

How is this going to respond to variations in terrain? What I am seeing in my mind's eye is the player has established a triangle formation for his platoon with two squads up and one back with the HQ in the middle. Okay, he plunks this down on the map and what he sees is one squad in the edge of a tree line real nice, one squad out in the open where it will be spotted and immediately fired at by the enemy, the last squad is in the middle of a swamp, and the HQ is at the bottom of a gulch. Hmmm, I don't think I want this. So how do we get around that?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Agua:

I've mentioned this before, but it would be a HUGE time saver if there were some sort of customizable template where the player could set up squads within a platoon in a formation of their design without having to individually place each squad.

How is this going to respond to variations in terrain? What I am seeing in my mind's eye is the player has established a triangle formation for his platoon with two squads up and one back with the HQ in the middle. Okay, he plunks this down on the map and what he sees is one squad in the edge of a tree line real nice, one squad out in the open where it will be spotted and immediately fired at by the enemy, the last squad is in the middle of a swamp, and the HQ is at the bottom of a gulch. Hmmm, I don't think I want this. So how do we get around that?

</font>

If you could give the HQ orders such as "Move squads to contact", "assault", "move all at best speed" and then the squads would form the best, doctrinally correct formation, that would (IMHO) be the best solution.

It would give the HQ's another level of menu "Squad commands" but I think it'd be an interesting dynamic and add to HQ's usefulness.