Using CM to test Syrian tactics.

I've tried some myself, mostly to figure out what bits of CMx1 aren't suited to contemporary warfare. I will say that you can do quite a bit with CMx1 that mimics contemporary warfare pretty well, but one has to be careful about drawing conclusions from it because CMx1 was designed for WWII conventional warfare, plain and simple. So MAYBE the results of a well made CMAK sceanrio can give you some idea of what CM:SF will be like, but you'll never know until you have the latter to compare against. In other words, just because x tactic works in CMAK, and y fails, doesn't mean squat. Just like comparing outcomes of Steel Panthers or ASL can't be compared against each other or against CMBO.

Steve

I was thinking more on the lines of which is best, putting AT guns, on the edge with wide fields of view so they had plenty of targets but were vulnerable when sighted, or keeping them well back with limited fields so that they could survive longer.

I know it won't be the same but given that what we are discussing seems to be mostly asysmetrical where as most CM scenarios are more balanced, people may well not have used these kind of tactics before.

As far as I am concerned CM is still a good enough game to let you draw some basic conclusions and try some ideas out.

A good example is setting up a game where the US has a clear numerical and equipment advantage but regardless of the game result is treated as the looser if the Syrians don't have five times the casualties. That might make people start to play in a way they haven't before.

I am not saying that should be the criteriain CM:SF but it wouldn't necessarliy be the way we used to playing CM.

Peter.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I've tried some myself, mostly to figure out what bits of CMx1 aren't suited to contemporary warfare. I will say that you can do quite a bit with CMx1 that mimics contemporary warfare pretty well, but one has to be careful about drawing conclusions from it because CMx1 was designed for WWII conventional warfare, plain and simple. So MAYBE the results of a well made CMAK sceanrio can give you some idea of what CM:SF will be like, but you'll never know until you have the latter to compare against. In other words, just because x tactic works in CMAK, and y fails, doesn't mean squat. Just like comparing outcomes of Steel Panthers or ASL can't be compared against each other or against CMBO.

Steve

Do you have any examples of such CMAK scenarios?