BFC & Troops, take a gander at this find

Was just looking at the weapon employment section of this manual, and I'd rate it must read for the game designers, both from the underlying approach upon which it's based and the wealth of detailed, maybe even vital, technical info presented. One stunner for me was that contact fuzed munitions may suffer dud rates as high as 25% if dropped into rubbled areas. The urban canyon effect (building "shadows" block most indirect fire) was interesting, as are the different measures used in MOUT for describing target location and marking. Danger close data are also given for various AC-130 weapons.

Regards,

John Kettler

Drusus,

Good point!

BFC and Troops,

Chapter IV, Weapons Employment, was terrific, but Appendix C, Munitions, is in a league of its own, with information content which is beyond mind boggling, in several ways. The discussion of both the damage potential of the different munitions and the real limitations on their use makes for what I'd say is essential reading. A TOW, for example, can fly a direct LOS to the target, whereas a Hellfire can't by reason of its lofted top attack mode optimized for defeating armor.

Regards,

John Kettler

It is worth noting that the up to 25% of contact fuzed munitions being dud is not only about munitions dropped from planes. It is of _all_ contact fuzed munitions. This is something that has a real effect on the use of HE. Also it is said that high buildings can cause proximity fuzed munitions to explode in the wrong place.

Drusus,

Two more good points! I should've been more broad in the way I defined the affected munitions (thought I said it right but now see I didn't). As for prox fuzed stuff, if it's fired in such a way that the antenna pattern sees the side or top of a building before it sees the ground, the intended target, then you've just wasted your ammo--and possibly friendlies if they're on or in that building.

Regards,

John Kettler

No information about that, but propably not because the base fuze mechanism doesn't require the nose of the grenade to hit anything and that is the only logical reason I can think why nose fuze wouldn't work in rubble. I don't know how big of a force the base fuze needs to work, though.

Interesting thing was that if you shoot at a building wall with a low angle it is possible that the shell will "rabbit". This means that the shell will continue perpendicular to wall. And in infantry tactics it is mentioned that when advancing, you should keep atleast 12 inches between you and the wall to avoid rabbit rounds.