Real stupid question I know..

Stampy

Great news. RTS tend to fall apart when you have to manage zillion things on a large map.

The larger it gets the more there is to manage.

Luckily none really builds units and material on the battle field as many of these games suggest ;)

On the other hand it would be nice to simulate the pressure that a company commander is supposed to handle. No turns or stops in real life.

But I'm happy the way it is.

Originally posted by track:

On the other hand it would be nice to simulate the pressure that a company commander is supposed to handle. No turns or stops in real life.

But on still another hand, he has subordinate leaders to handle a lot of the work load, as well as a certain amount of individual cognition and volition on the part of the troopers. He doesn't have to—for instance—plot out the entire move of each squad.

Michael

Surely not. He has platoon and squad leaders to do that.

If you would like to have a real life like experience one would have to simulate different personalities as well. Some get along better than others, some snap under pressure, some have more intiative than others etc. And it even varies on individual basis depending on circumstances. A programmer's nightmare!

How many times have you seen a virtual platoon leader to make a bad judgement or a misunderstaning in a computer game? I quess in none. Units tend to follow orders until they break.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the bump but I could not resist.

BF.C used to publish a game implementing just that : virtual subordinates, with a chain of command. Now the game is published by that-other-company. ;)

You'd give order to HQ that will handle it to it's best and direct their subordinates on the battlefield. Each commander has it's own rating. Some are fast and good, lots are not so fast and not so good. Not to menton the ones that draw a path of movement where you don't want. Lots of frustration in perpective.

Handling 100 or 200 units in real time is not a problem. You'd give order to around 20 or 30 and the 'puter takes care of the rest.

Originally posted by track:

Surely not. He has platoon and squad leaders to do that.

[...]

How many times have you seen a virtual platoon leader to make a bad judgement or a misunderstaning in a computer game? I quess in none. Units tend to follow orders until they break.

The very last time I tried to order an assault with some poorly trained dutch SS unit in AA:HTTR. the buggers could not move ! :D

Sorry for the distortion.

JeF.

I think the lack of WEGO would actually be the one deal breaker for me atleast in the scale CM games have been in the past...my favorite part is replaying the turns from every angle to catch all the little nuances of the battle not to mention you'd never know what the hell was going on..It's probably my single favorite feature of the game.

Realtime has worked OK with Take Command Bull Run but I don't think it would in CM...

Turn based would be so so but only if the scale was cranked waaaaay down to about 12 men and a couple vehicles per side...

Mord.

What I would like to see are human errors made by the units. For example opening fire too early, crossing street when it is not safe, etc. It is a common approach in games to have units fight and hold until they break. They just won't move, even that fire and movement tactics are part of their training. For urban or guerilla warfare this is essential.

Mistakes do happen and can lead into disaster or into unexpected events.

I like the ability to play back the entire turn and to examine what the heck is happening. It would really nice to record the entire battle in this way and watch it as a one uniterrupted movie.