Engineers, "virtual" walls, demo charges and breaching

Bahger

I found myself with an engineer unit in a QB last night. I wasn't quite sure how to exploit this asset. Their transport was equipped with demo charges, but no specific breaching equipment and the mission was an ME with a village in the middle of the map. I've noticed the use of virtual walls as abstractions, an idea I like because approaches to urban or semi-urban terrain are rarely unimpeded, but I'm assuming that no engineer equipment can have any effect on these virtual impediments unless I have grasped the wrong end of the stick here. Also, I do not know how to deploy either demo charges or breaching equipment, what the differences are, and what to look out for in terms of context-sensitive menu items that will enable me to deploy this equipment. Can anyone guide me? With thanks in anticipation...

The demo charges are used for "blast" moves. You have to move the unit close to the wall, within 10 meters or closer. then give a blast move through the wall. The engineers will blow the wall and rush to the other side. Be patient, when the order is given it will not look like your sqad is doing anything for several seconds.

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

I'm not sure what you mean by virtual walls.

Do you recall the explanation in the training campaign for the grey wall around the village in the attack scenario? Basically it is explained that the wall is an abstraction that simulates limited avenues of approach to an objective without overburdening the scenario with multiple objects and structures, in other words it's an abstration, a good one, I feel, tactically.

I've been playing a lot of QBs downloaded from CMMods (Mark Ezra's group) and I've noticed the same thing; objectives surrounded by grey walls that, while physically unrealistic, serve to increase the realism of the tactical challenge.

I guess the inclusion of these things is in the hands of the scenario designer.