Who are you, you lucky dogs?

Who can run Allah's Fist at above 30 fps best/best settings,looking from the starting point out towards point Charlie?

Please, what system are you running:

processor,

graphics card,

motherboard,

Operating system

amount of ram.

I am really, really, not trying to start an argument, despite my posts from the past. I am just trying to see if 30fps best/best is attainable in this scenario, and what hardware can do it. I have a back up PC, and other various components, so that if I can just buy a different graphics card, or a new OS for this alternate PC I will do so because I think it will be awhile before the 8800 issue (which is the soul of my primary PC) is fixed. But I need to know the secret mix of hardware that gives these optimal results.

And once again, ONLY if you are getting 30 fps consistently (ok it can drop to 25 once in awhile during heavy action) at best texture and best model settings looking out across the landscape in Allah's Fist. Thanks for your help!

ps- my backup is an:

AMD 64 4000 @2.9 ghz

A8n SLI Deluxe MB

2 gig ddr 400

6800 gt (or) 8800 GTS 320mb

XP sp2 (though I am thinking of unleashing vista on this poor unsuspecting machine)

Thanks for your attention.

There are probably a half dozen threads with this information already. I can give you a quick answer though...

There is no common thread to detect. The problem with the nVidia cards appears to be an interaction with some hardware component that is not easily identifiable. For example, motherboard make/model, some sub component on it, etc. We've been over this so many times already that this appears to be the only logical answer.

For a fairly modern system with an nVidia card, the framerate should be better than 30fps in general. Even for the bigger scenarios, though perhaps with one bump down in details. But until nVidia fixes the problems we doubt we can fundamentally work around the prolblems 8800 users are experiencing. There is only so much we can do when the platform we're developing for is, basically, defective.

Don't feel bad though, ATI sucks too :( We just did a speed optimization that used standard OpenGL calls. Charles coded the optimization into the game and we all went to test it. nVidia testers were overjoyed, ATI users saw their performance drop by 100 times. That's right... from 30fps to 0.3fps. So after Charles got done banging his head against a wall he came to find out that this OpenGL call that is "supported" by ATI is only supported in software rendering mode, so the card "kindly" switched the entire drawing routine into software render mode.

This is the kind of crap we have to deal with :(

As it turns out the work around to ATI's "supported" call was to waste a bunch of VRAM unnecessarily. So the speed improvement itself works, it just needlessly takes up more VRAM than it does on an nVidia card (which does support this call in hardware).

Steve

Steve-

Once again, not trying to start an argument, seriously. But in all earnestness, can you point me to one of these threads? Most of the ones I recall either don't give their specs or have one or both quality settings turned down a notch or two. So I haven't a clue where to start.Remember, best/best over 30fps (or thereabouts).

Thanks

man, no one can tell you that 100% sure cause this is bug-related. if you hit the 8800 issue you are screwed, if not it's just that, is the most powerfull 3d card out there. so hard to understand?

if you want an asnwer like: "if you buy this system you are 100% guaranteed you will be able to run the game flawlessly at max/max" you are not going ton get that answer because systems capable to run the game w/o problem at max/ma are subject to bugs.

my second system actually. it currently has either a 6800 or a 8800 gts, and I have vista but haven't put it on there yet. I just like to have a spare computer...though I agree with the comment about the 7300 having problems. I am really worried that all this 'some people aren't having problems' talk is just a red herring.

pele - I think it is safe to say ALL 8800's have similar (probabaly exact same) performance issues. If you crank the settings down low enough you can get "decent" fps, 30+.

Also, some people are ok with lower quality settings and/or less than 20fps. That's where I think the "red herring" lies.

This is what I am wondering:

If all 8800's have problems,

but you need the power of an 8800 to run the game at max settings and high resolution,

then isn't it a logical conclusion that no one is actually playing the game at max settings/high resolution?

and I agree with the second statement, I think that is spot on, and why some people say they are not having a problem...rather, they have learned to live with it because they couldn't give a toss about graphics.