AI Artillery - not WAD?

If I'm bumping this to get somebody's attention, I might as well add that it would be cool if the AI artillery zones were somehow linked to the AI plans. An example would be that the AI support zones are done in the same way but each AI plan could have it's own pick of the 20? Would this be possible?

It's good to know that it's going to get enhanced later but I'm far more interested in seeing AI artillery work as the manual says it should. In my opinion, this is one of the core game elements and it really deserves some attention. I can wait a long time for enhancements but does it really have such a low priority for fixing after 1.06?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread (again) as I don't want to start a new one. Now that the game is sorted with 1.07, when are BFC planning to do something about the condition of AI artillery? Can we expect to see some improvements to this core game element in the next patch? At the very least, can we get the system that's outlined in the manual?

Artillery is one of the fundemental building blocks of a conventional army. It contains the bulk of the available firepower. Failing to provide the AI with a way to use artillery would be as large of an oversight as failing to provide the AI with armor, or with infantry.

Artillery is often overlooked in computer simulations because it has less glamor than, say, tanks, and because it tends to be omitted from Hollywood depictions of warfare. In the real world, however, artillery is critical. Any simulation of modern warfare (i.e., the last 400 years) that fails to properly model artillery is incomplete and shallow as a result. Its like playing "rock, paper, scissors" without "rock."

I have been playing wargames since the 1970s, and CMSF is swiftly becoming, in my eyes, the best wargame ever. I have a long wishlist of features that I would LIKE to see, but dynamic AI use of artillery is the only one that is really and truly critical.

[ February 23, 2008, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Rokossovski ]

I'd like to bump this too, for all the reasons mentioned.

I know that the AI can't ever be as competent a player as a human being but if I choose to play Syria against an AI-controlled America, I still expect to have most of my force slaughtered by Javelins and off-map artillery/air assets. Anything else isn't an adequate simulation.

As long ago as 1998-2000 I could rely on some pretty effective AI use of artillery fire in classic games such as "M1 Tank Platoon II" and "Steel Beasts". As the natural successor to those titles, I expect no less from CM:SF.