Can Saved games be edited in CMSF?

Hi,

Why does it matter whether Saved games can be edited in CMSF? In large part this is about what CMSF can be used for beyond its use as a battle simulation.

CM is such a fine simulation, by far the world’s best wargames, that it seems a waste to use CM just for one off battles or for the rather straight forward campaigns included in CMSF. Some of us like to use CM as a tool to decide the contact battles within a far larger, high quality operational game. Along the lines of a command post exercise. This was done very successfully in some of the previous versions of CMMC, notably the second outing or France ’44 version of CMMC. This was wargaming taken to its ultimate, in my very prejudiced view smile.gif .

For those how do not know players take roles such as corps commander, divisional commander, corps and divisional artillery commanders and of course battalion commanders plus much more smile.gif . Orders are discussed and issued using forums and email. Once the orders have been issued they are sent to the game masters/empires who build the CM games that model the contact battles based on orders/movements of the battalions. The battalion commanders then resolve any resulting contact battles using CM sending the saved end of game file back to the empires.

All well and dandy but in practice the fact that Saved games cannot be edited, that game empires have to start from scratch in building every contact battle, hugely adds to the work load.

This work load is already near crushing for the game empires. In fact it is so great that in practice some CMMC type games fall part as a result.

The single change that would do most to make CMMC type games doable where they are not now is to be able to edit Saved games.

So there it is… can Saved games be edited in CMSF? If not through the editor can one get into the text files and edit them that way? I know campaigns can be edited by getting into the text files… is this also true of the Saved battle files themselves?

Thanks for your help smile.gif ,

All the best,

Kip.

Hi,

Come on guys…it is a very simple straight forward question to which many will know the answer ;) .

The question is can Saved games be edited… nothing complicated there… ;) . This may take one of two forms. Either by launching the Saved game in the editor the same way any other game could be edited…or by opening up the text file for the Saved game and digging about in there.

I know Battlefront do not want to release/announce all the features now, saving some for the big launch, but editing Saved games is not a glamour feature.. other then to the weird like me smile.gif . It is only me and my dog who are interested in whether Saved games can be edited. So there is no need to treat it as a state secret ;) .

Hopefully someone will take mercy on me and let me know if Saved games can be edited.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Rune, hi,

Thanks…I am very grateful for your efforts smile.gif .

I know I am something of an eccentric but I feel CM is such a fine simulation it is really a form of “military history” and so is wasted simply being used for one off, or near one off, battles.

Looking forward to CMSF,

All the best,

Kip.