Replay terrain deformation bug

c3k

Gents,

Again, forgive me if this was posted earlier. There is no central bug forum/thread.

During the action phase (wego), playing with artillery or airstrikes in a custom scenario, I get to see variously sized impact craters from the different munitions. That's great. (And, seriously, kudos for that.)

However, in the REPLAY phase, at the beginning of the replay - BEFORE ANY MUNITIONS HAVE IMPACTED - all the terrain deformations (craters) from the just completed action phase ARE PRESENT.

In short, we get the effect before we see the cause. Now, I'm all for modern physics with 11 dimensions, weird strings, and time-travel, but could we hold that until the Space Lobsters of Doom module?

To summarize, any terrain deformations from an action phase get "locked" into being there for the replay phase.

To beat a dead horse, here's a concrete example: in the action phase, at the 60th (final) second, the very end, a 155mm round hits and makes a crater under a T-72, which then tilts into it. In the REPLAY phase, at the first instant, the T-72 is shown HOVERING over the crater as if the crater isn't there. Yet, visually, it is. If you watch the replay for the full minute you will see an impact in the crater at the 60 second mark, followed immediately by the T-72 tilting into the crater.

Thanks,

Ken

WEGO replays are pretty screwed up right now. Unit status, ammo level, rubble, craters, wrecks, etc. all start the replay as they were at the end of the end of the RT execution phase. I know Steve acknowledged that, but never said if it was going to be fixed, or we just have to live with it as concession to having the RT option.

IMO, it kind of reinforces the perception that CMSF is RT with WEGO bolted on. I know BFC did not intentionally build it that way, but that is how it ends up looking.

yup... my buddy once started his turn by saying "oh, i see you killed my tank"

this was because in his replay phase (wich he started with, before he could give orders) all ground damage was already done.. and since i had blown up his tank with an aircraft bomb there was a substantial crater under his tank...

so he wasnt really surprised when the impact finally came...