Terrain abstraction now - how does it work?

Guest Guest

Originally posted by AdamL:

Ok, so after playing for a couple days I have gathered that there is still quite a bit being abstracted, such as the cover in the terrain or the firing of the shots.

Can we get some info on how these things work now? How is it best to take advantage of the terrain in the new system?

How much basic cover do infantry in open ground now have available to them? Do they get some kind of a bonus if they remain in the same place as from the setup?

I am trying to figure out the same things. I keep moving things into what I think are good positions and they get smoked while my T72 sitting on a hilltop is like the invisible man.

Even dropping down to ground level has been little help.

As ar as I know, you can forget about using (abstracted) terrain like you could in CMx1. The priority is firstly does it look good/cool in the game for RT gameplay. Most of the variation in terrain you speak about/see in CMSF has no relevance to actual combat and therefore have little impact on tactics.

So save yourself the effort and stop trying to look for ways in which this game is still like CMx1.

I'm sorry I have to tell you this.

But it seems that CMSF is niether here nor there. I believe Steve as already said that in some instances WYSINWYG. How are we supposed to know when WYSIWYG applies. I am really struggling with Hull Down. It seems that sometimes I don'y have the turret above the hill, yet I can shoot and sometimes I have it well above the crest, and I can't shoot.