Multiplayer proposal - Battalion Command

Lets look at it this way. For anyone who has played tactical wargames to any great extent, the CM1 AI is a pushover. I have become so totally bored with single player that the only time I launch single player in CMAK/CMBB is to test my home grown scenarios for playability and balance. (But enough about me and my huge brain)

By implementing the ability for some of my forces to be controlled by the AI, (hopefully responding to my commands but not directly under my control) it introduces a whole new strategic level of single player play, and prepares players for the 2 on 2 or 4 on 4 cooperative play that many of us are begging for.

Secondly, the idea of relegating of command some of your troops to the AI (be it an infantry platoon, the armour in a combined arms battle, or the cavalry in the Napoleonic era) when you are playing a weaker player can force a level of balance to the game simply through the general ineptitude of the AI. (No offence intended - it IS better than many other so called tactical war games on the market - thanks be to the CM team)

The last goodie I see is the ability to put AI vs. AI. There's another post for that somewhere in the forum - it is a neat idea, lots of Chess programs allow this, but I'm not sure the AI is up to the task of play testing scenario's. Humans are a lot better at finding positions to exploit. But if you want to be a Monty or a Rommel, it might be neat to set the objectives for your company / platoon commanders and let the fur fly!

For TCP/IP I can see a pre-made scenario start screen having:

Total Players [4] (This is set in the scenario file)

List of players

Side A Commander : [Jimmy@255.12.12.55]

Side A Player 2 : [AI]

Side B Commander : [Gordo@255.69.69.60]

Side B Player 2 : [AI]

In theory it could also be cooperative vs AI - but where's the fun in that?

For a quick game it would take a bit of work as the Screen where the settings are made would need to also need to contain the Multi-Player information, including points, nationality and branch restrictions for each player. (Maybe a tab system would be a good way to save real estate?)

Anyways... if this ever gets implemented it would be a good thing.

{Edit}

Of course FOW would be in full effect between commanders - limiting Borg Spotting and allowing friendly fire. Maybe implementing a scenario specific option to allow F.F. for multiplayer would be best? Although I'm guessing it's pretty easy to tell Space Lobsters from Cromwells.

[ September 12, 2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: J Ruddy ]