GeForce 2 cards

KTN

Will a GeForce 2 card show fog for the CM games?

I have a Pentium II 450 and im having a hard time fiding a GeForce 440 card for Pentium II.

I did find one today but it's an AGP 8 and I read in another thread it wouldn't work that good.

Thanks

Yes, the entire GeForce/TNT family will support fog in CM. Go to Control Panels > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > click on the tab labelled for your videocard (most likely 'GeForce 2') > here the selections will vary depending on which driver you have installed. Possibly under DirectX/Direct3D settings you should find a checkbox for 'Enable fog-table emulation'. With this checked you should see fog in CM.

As for newer videocards, generally if your motherboard is AGP2X capable or higher they should work. Newer AGP standards utilize lower voltages and may have slightly different sockets (AGP 4X & 8X), but some cards are 'keyed' on their connector to work in both sockets (they'll usually have two notches). Newer videocards are generally backwards compatible, but the same isn't true for newer slots, where an old card that may fit may not work properly (or worse cause damage) - though this is somewhat rare. That being said, some newer and higher performance cards may not work very well in some older motherboards due to design limitations (they may draw too much power, etc.) or other compatibility issues. A GeForce 4 MX 440 most likely should work with some older motherboards, but you may want to double check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if there are any reported incompatibilities (it's possible that your motherboard may be too old to have updated info on it though).

Thanks,

Right now I have a 16MB TNT card in and I wanted to get a better card. The GeForce 2 card is really the only one I can find. The one 44o card is APG8 and the there are the problems with the drivers I guess. I think I will just go out and get the GeForce 2 card and save my money to get a new computer next year.

Thanks again

KTN,

I recently upgraded my video card (with the help of Schrullenhaft) and have a 32 MB GeForce2 MX 1X/2X/4X AGP card I no longer need. I think it's just the plain MX but it may be the MX 400; I don't remember. If you can use it and would be willing to cover the shipping, I'd be happy to send it to you. Was planning on selling it on eBay but it's only worth a few bucks.

Post or email me if interested.

[ February 06, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: GWDWD ]