Battlefront's CMSF T34/85 will look nicer than these!

Efraim

Originally posted by bo_tellin:

Interesting article:

http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=50

re: question about damage modeling

I also think that the unique damage system created by our developers will also be a major point of interest for the players. When a shell hits the armor of a tank a lot of different parameters are taken into consideration to properly calculate damage. Those are speed, shell type, hit angle and armor slope. Internal damage inflicted by the blast wave, armor splinters and the shell penetrating the armor are also calculated for each crew member individually. All external damage is dynamically displayed as shell holes, directly in the place where a shell has hit the target.

At a 1km/hex strategic level I've been playing Highway to the Reich lately, which is RTS-based, exremely playable and it put me off Panzer Campaigns series for good.

I may be banished to hell for saying this, but I'm a lot more interested in the WWII game illustrated above than.... clank! Arghh! It's getting awfully hot around here. Bail out!!!

I think what will make the choice for most people between WW2RTS or CMx3 WW2, will be game play not graphics.

Obviously we all want better graphics and everyone is full of support for that. Just compare the CMBO demo with CMAK.

However I remember when I first played the demo of CMBO and at the time it had pretty poor graphics for evn it's day, but I was hooked. It was the game play and the scale, oh and of course that it was far more realistic in feel than anything else out there.

It was game play , feel and originality that one it all those awards, not the graphics.

If we end up with two WW2 tactical company level RTS' on the market at the same time, people will judge each on a wide range of issues, and graphics will only be one of them.

IF WW2RTS doesn't have a quick battles or map editor as some claim it will loose out. The game with the better AI will win, especially if it has one which doesn't have your own me or a computer opponents doing stupid stuff.

Finally there is the interface, from the screen shots they seem to have pretty much followed the CM template ( ie Copied), so how easy it is to tell whats going on and control your units might be a big factor.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

I think what will make the choice for most people between WW2RTS or CMx3 WW2, will be game play not graphics.

Yes, and good graphics should also improve the game play. Take for example the scalable unit sizes in CM, a feature I haven't seen elsewhere. With much improved graphics, a good game should be more, not less, playable.

Btw. just because the interface looks like CM doesn't mean that it is copied... any more than CM interface was copied from Close Combat.

Sergei,

Your right about the copy element , though having played close combat, the similarity between CM and WW2RTS seems far closer.

If there is one element of WW2RTS that worried me it's this idea of being able to move crew about a vehicle to use individual talents. It seems a bit to much like micromanagement and "Gamey" and although I can see the atraction in that people might like to man their own tank and let the AI do the crew changing in others, I tend to think there is more to a tank crew than the sum of the parts.

In real life start to switch unless some one couldn't function positions and performance would nose dive. in addition If someone gets taken out i think it would be the closest guy that took over rather than a debate about who does what bets.

A think WW2RTS could visually and in game terms turn out to be a cross between CM and Battlefield1942, which probably means I won't like it as much as the WW2 CMSF module, but it will sell more copies.

Peter.