Please help with annoying keyboard freeze

tiborhead

Although this is not directly related to CM, I was hoping someone could help me out here. I recently reinstalled Windows ME on my 20gig HD. Rather than wipe the disk completely, I just reinstalled the OS. Everything was fine for a few days.

A few days ago, I began experiencing a rather annoying problem. While playing the BB demo, I noticed the game would hang for about a second, and then continue on normally. Everything would stop. Mouse, Keyboard, sound, everything. Aside from being slightly frustrating, it wasn't much of a problem. This continued through out the game for about 20 minutes. Finally, after a brief hang, I found the keyboard to be unresponsive. The mouse still worked, I still had sound and everything, but not using the hotkeys is a pain.

I restarted my computer, and opened the demo once more. Same story, only this time the mouse froze too. Sadly, I found this problem is not localized to the CMBB demo. It happens all the time now, no matter what I'm doing. If I’m on the internet, a series of hangs followed by loss of keyboard and/or mouse. I became extremely frustrated.

Yesterday, in an effort to correct the problem, I did a complete wipe of my C: drive and reinstalled windows and all necessary drivers. It apparently didn't help. The first full reboot, and it hangs almost immediately, locking the system. I decide it may be a problem with my secondary HD (80gig Maxtor), so I unhook that one and run only the main C: drive. Things seem OK for a moment. To test, I install CM and play a test QB. Things were going great (aside from losing my only AT asset to an arty barrage). I hadn’t noticed any freezes or lockups for about 15 turns. Then all of a sudden, I can't issue any orders via hotkey.

Seconds away from throwing the damn'd thing out the window in a fit of unbridled rage, I hook up the secondary drive and run scan disk on both of them. This morning I checked the results: no errors found. Needless to say, I'm quite :confused: and :mad: and at the same time a bit :( . I have no idea what is wrong. I'm thinking it has to a motherboard problem in which case I'm screwed. I haven't the cash to replace it. Can someone, anyone give me a clue here?

You might have a problem with your keyboard controller/ PS/2 controller. This basically boils down to the possibility that your motherboard may be bad. It might also just be your keyboard, but I'm not absolutely sure how it could lock up the mouse too. Are both of these devices PS/2 or USB ?

What may be happening is that the keyboard controller may be issuing a hardware interrupt to the CPU and possibly 'not letting go'. This could be either the keyboard responsible or the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard (something you basically can't replace without replacing the entire motherboard). However this is just a guess and it likely could be something else, possibly a CMOS/BIOS setup (often called 'Gate A20 Option' - setting to 'Fast' would be preferred).

This problem may also be attributed to some other PCI device that is defective or has problematic drivers (a modem, network or sound card). Your sound card may be OK if the sound still works, but the keyboard locks up. If your mouse and keyboard are USB, then other PCI devices may be to blame since USB is considered a PCI device.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

You might have a problem with your keyboard controller/ PS/2 controller. This basically boils down to the possibility that your motherboard may be bad. It might also just be your keyboard, but I'm not absolutely sure how it could lock up the mouse too. Are both of these devices PS/2 or USB ?

What may be happening is that the keyboard controller may be issuing a hardware interrupt to the CPU and possibly 'not letting go'. This could be either the keyboard responsible or the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard (something you basically can't replace without replacing the entire motherboard). However this is just a guess and it likely could be something else, possibly a CMOS/BIOS setup (often called 'Gate A20 Option' - setting to 'Fast' would be preferred).

This problem may also be attributed to some other PCI device that is defective or has problematic drivers (a modem, network or sound card). Your sound card may be OK if the sound still works, but the keyboard locks up. If your mouse and keyboard are USB, then other PCI devices may be to blame since USB is considered a PCI device.

Thanks for the reply. After searching through countless tech support forums at work today, I've concluded it may be some sort of spy/adware issue. From what I've gathered, it seems a lot of people have had the same problem as me. From what I understand, the spy/adware junk will run in the background and can conflict with certain programs.

My girlfriend said she downloaded and installed some sort of online gaming crap which could have secretly installed something. I hope that's the problem as I can't afford both CM and a new motherboard. :eek: