Help BTS !!

I have done eveything but nothing works.I get lockups during battles.During all phases.When the lockups happen i find that if i hit the enter key i can exit the game.Is this normal?The lockups can happen anywhere from 1 turn to 5 turns even 50 turns into a game.Then it might lockup 3 times in a row.All times while in battle.All times i am able to exit the game by hitting enter.No other keys will work.My cpu does not lockup it is just the game.I have tried reinstalling the game several time.I have tried reinstalling the v 1.01 patch.I have downloaded all new drivers for my video card,and my mouse.I have directx 7a.

I have a 450 mhz cpu AMDK6-2.128 bit creative labs sound blaster.A viper 550 3d graphics card AGP with 16 meg of ram.48 speed cd-rom.

Is my video card overclocked?I dont know.How would i check that?I do not have the latest drivers for my sound card.Would that make much of a difference?DO i have a bad copy of the game?What do i do now?This is one of the best games i have ever played!This problem is really taking the enjoyment away from the game.I also have tried reinstalling the drivers for the video card.I have the INVIDEA drivers at this time.

Do you have any details on your motherboard, i.e. - what model and manufacturer is it ? You may need a patch for AGP (depending on the chipset of your motherboard). Super Socket 7 motherboards quite often have problems with AGP video cards, so a BIOS update may also be in order.

If you had the Diamond drivers installed at one point and you are now using the NVidia drivers, then I suggest that you make sure that the InControl Tools/Diamond Viper V550 driver have been uninstalled. The latest NVidia Detonator drivers are v. 5.32 which you can get from:

Reactor Critial:

http://www.reactorcritical.com

There is also a BIOS update to the Viper V550, but it probably doesn't apply to you (fixes a particular mouse cursor problem):

Diamond Viper V550 v. 1.95C BIOS update:

http://209.10.182.5/customer_caretechnical_supportupdatesfirmwareGraphicsViper_V550.htm

If you have the Creative Labs SoundBlaster PCI128, then here is the latest update for the drivers:

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?reg=0&OS=Win98∏=sbpci128&select=Get+Files

Also, do you know if your soundcard is sharing an IRQ with any other devices ? You can go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > with "Computer" highlighted click on the Properties button. You will now see a listing of the IRQs assigned to devices; look for your SoundBlaster and see what IRQs it is using. If another device is using the same IRQ (other than "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering"), then you may need to change some settings and/or physically move your soundcard to another PCI slot to get it to use a different and hopefully unused IRQ.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-11-2000).]

You're going to need to find out exactly which model of Gigabyte motherboard you have (i.e. - GA-5AA, GA-5AX, etc.). Also check out the revision/PCB of the board too (it will usually be silk-screened on the motherboard, quite often near the model number or near any of the edges). This is important since you have to use a particular version of the BIOS upgrade or you may not be able to use it if your board is an older revision/PCB. On your initial BIOS startup screen (where the memory is counted) you should usually get an indication of which BIOS version you have.

Gigabyte's English website:

http://www.giga-byte.com/gigabyte-web/newindex.htm

Most of the BIOS updates probably won't address your problems. If you do decide to update your BIOS be very careful. I'd suggest disabling your internal & external cache in your CMOS before updating your BIOS (you can re-enable it afterwards).

The other issue, which may actually factor into your problem is updating the VXDs for your ALI chipset.

ALI's website:

http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/driver.shtml

Pay close attention to the numbers on your chipset (I believe you'll have the 1541/42 Alladin V chipset). Download the AGP v. 1.68 driver and the AGP Utility (to be applied after the AGP driver). Hopefully this patch may help with your problem.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-12-2000).]