PBEM problems

Hi all

I'm having difficulties in sending turns using AOL as a text only file - apparently, the recipient can download the file successfully but has to trawl through a whole load of garbled messages to do it. I have version 8 of AOL which automatically sends the file out as a HTML (by default and which can't be changed) and I believe this may have something to do with it?

Has anyone else come across this and if so is there a solution?

Thanks in advance

I highly suggest you use a compression program like WinZip or something of that nature. Text files can get mangled/corrupted by all sorts of programs on the web. Compressing the file should usually make it smaller (especially once you get to movie files which can be several megabytes in size) and generally prevent corruption of the data at some point in its path between opponents.

I just started playing a PBEM game for the first time and ran into a similar (same?)problem.

In that I opened the email from my host and the attached unzipped file came thru not as such but as an extra text display appended to the message. HTML text I guess.

Fortunately I have a zip program, and when he next sent me the zipped version I was able to transfer it to my PBEM file and access it.

But I would prefer avoiding the extra step of zipping & unzipping. Is there a way to prevent the initial problem from happening?

My host suggested I find "a way to tell the webmail site not to display attachments in line." I tried, but couldn't figure out how. Nothing I found gave me that option.

I use messenger express Rev 2.1 in Internet explorer. Is there some sort of options or properties setting I'm missing? I tried the obvious menues.

It's no big deal, I'm happy to be able to play using a zip program, but it would be more convenient not to do that.

Any ideas?

If you search the main forum there is a big thread recently covering PBEMHelper. I think the title was something like " amove a turn is here"

It is a little fiddly when trying to do the movie per turn lark but for keeping track of multiple games superb. Definitely invest time in it. You will see I did a little test with WineCape and it worked brilliantly in Trust and secue mode when I was getting two films and a move per sent file!!!

• 2 weeks later...