LOD problems?

I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, but it seems there's some level of detail issues in the game.

I was playing the first mission in the missions list called "Abu something". There was this long road going through the field and there was a ditch running next to the road. Sometimes the ditch completely disappeared when I zoomed or moved my camera.

Now, I know how LOD is supposed to work (you get more details when you go closer to things), but the weird thing is that the ditch sometimes disappeared when I zoomed IN. First it was visible from the distance as a dark line, then when I zoomed in, it disappeared and when I zoomed more it appeared again as a 3D ditch. And all the time there was quite bad texture flickering on the ditch.

It was quite funny when I tried to advance to the right flank with couple of strykers and one of them got stuck to this invisible ditch. It took me a while to notice that there was a ditch there. Another thing was when my infantry were walking in the ditch and I zoomed to certain distance, the ditch disappeared swallowing my squad. :D They reappeared of course when I zoomed to another distance.

Does the texture quality setting affect LOD?

I don't think texture quality affects LODs, but model quality certainly does.

Trenches were especially problematic for us. First, they are just about the worst pieces of terrain to have in terms of impact on framerate (cliffs are the other). Second, the guys making scenarios LOVE trenches, so there is often a lot of them. That means CM gives them a high priority for switching into LOD and a low priority for being drawn in full. Depending on card settings and general system performance, as well as the topography of the map, the transitions can be suboptimal.

Steve